Step 6: Getting your license

This step specifically pertains to getting a license to run a camp in Massachusetts, but I'd expect it to be generally applicable.

Before you look into getting a license, though, you should make sure that you need one.  It turns out that one of the main requirements for needing a summer camp license in Massachusetts is calling yourself a "summer camp".  If you call yourself a "summer program", don't go hiking, horseback-riding, don't do archery, or swimming, you can get away without needing a license.

Look into your local city requirements, as well as the possible consequences of running an unlicensed camp.  It is quite possibly not worth your time and effort.   Especially during your first year.

Assuming, though, that you've decided to get a license (potentially a wise decision):

To start the process off, you contact the Department of Health and ask for the summer camp inspectors. You tell them that you are starting a summer camp and ask about how to get licensed -- they'll give you an application for a recreational summer camp license. The application primarily consists of writing up lots of plans as to what you'll do in the event of various potential emergnencies, like if a child gets lost or injured.

You'll need to find a medical advisor for the camp. Your camp will need a nurse, pediatrician, or doctor to approve any medical plans you submit as part of your license, and to be available to field questions over the summer. We have found this by asking the parents in our camp's extended community to recommend their child's doctors, and also by asking the city inspectors for what doctors other local camps have used. We've never had to pay the doctor for this -- they've been willing to do it for free or in exchange for a discount for their child to come to camp.

You'll also have to develop a fire evacuation plan and submit a copy to your local fire chief. The inspectors will tell you who specifically to submit this to.

All in all, it's pretty straightforward. I found Cambridge's health inspectors to be incredibly helpful when I was unclear about a particular plan, and they would often make recommendations or provide examples from previous license applications.

You'll generally have two site inspections -- one before camp starts and one during camp. The one beforehand makes sure that the space your is in good physical shape and is a chance for you to go over the background checks and medical records of your staff (see next step.) The second inspection makes sure that everything is running smoothly at camp, and the inspectors will also check that you have all of the necesarry medical information for your campers (your camp's health form and general physical information from their doctors.)

A helpful recommendation the inspectors have made is to have all medical information on note cards for field trips. The note card would be something simple: child's name, medications approved by parents, any special information (allergies, prescriptions, unusual medical conditions), and emergency contact numbers.

A copy of our first license application is attached here.
<p>Hello</p><p>Are you in need of a loan for any purpose? You are in financial problem? Do you need financial solution? Mr Johnson Pablo loans is the solution for all your financial problems, Our loans are simple, cheap and fast. Contact us today for that loan that you want, we can arrange any loan to suit your budget at only 2% interest rate. If interested, please contact us immediately.Optional Loan Protection may enable you to meet your loan repayments if you can not work due to illness, accident or unemployment. You can only get this valuable insurance when you apply for credit, so do not forget us if you want to it.Email: johnsonpabloloancompany@gmail.com</p>
<p><strong>APPLY FOR SECURED LOAN</strong></p><p><strong>Do you need a Loan Before Christmas? Email:Denationsloan@gmail.com</strong></p><p><strong>We Are Currently Offering:</strong></p><p><strong>Private Commercial and Personal Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Business Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Payday Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Student Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Mortgage Loan* </strong></p><p><strong>Auto Loans * </strong></p><p><strong>Bad credit Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Home equity Loan *</strong></p><p><strong>Project/Contract Loan * </strong></p><p><strong>Debt Consolidation Loan to interested individuals at 3% Interest Rates. </strong></p><p><strong>Apply with us Via Email:Denationsloan@gmail.com</strong></p>
<p>As the largest direct insurer of American Summer Camps, AMSkier Insurance is holding a webinar &quot;What Does It Cost To Run Camp&quot; on Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2pm EST. Video recordings will be made available to all who register for the webinar. Expert panelists with over 100 years of combined camp experience will be discussing the topic and handouts will be made available. If interested, please consider joining this webinar and learn more on our website -&gt; http://amskier.co/2efOrkY</p>
<p>All of these loan offers are scams go to credible places for loans</p>
<p>Cześć,</p><p> Czy finansowo linka ? Nie martw się ! tu jest szansa dla ciebie , oferujemy pożyczki </p><p>zar&oacute;wno międzynarodowych i lokalnych Project finance , gwarancji i SBLC zar&oacute;wno dla os&oacute;b </p><p>fizycznych i firm na całym świecie. Nasze oprocentowanie wynosi 3 % w skali roku.</p><p>Jesteśmy obrotowy wszystkich rodzaj&oacute;w projekt&oacute;w w kraju i zagranicą , r&oacute;wnież czynią </p><p>doradztwo finansowe dla naszych klient&oacute;w. Więc jeśli masz dobry projekt lub chcesz założyć </p><p>firmę i potrzebujesz inwestora wystarczy poinformować nas natychmiast, tak że możemy </p><p>dyskutować, podpisują umowę , a następnie zasilić sw&oacute;j projekt dla Ciebie.</p><p>Prosimy o kontakt z nami, dla wszystkich potrzeb finansowych.</p><p>E - mail: brightestmortgagefinance@gmail.com</p><p>Z poważaniem,</p><p>Peter Morgan Paul .</p>
<br><br>Hello, <br><br> Are you Financially stranded? worry not! here is an opportunity for you, we offer Loan <br><br>for both International and local Project Finance, Bank Guarantee and SBLC to both <br><br>individuals and companies worldwide. Our interest rate is 3% per year.<br>We are financial of all kinds of Projects locally and internationally, we also render <br><br>financial advice to our clients. So if you have any good project or you want to start up a <br><br>business and you need an investor just inform us immediately so that we can discuss, sign <br><br>agreement and then fund your project for you.<br>Kindly contact us today for all your financial needs.<br>E-mail: brightestmortgagefinance@hotmail.com<br><br>Best Regards,<br><br>Mr Morgan Paul.
<p>Greetings Every one.<br><br>i am Mr Paul Williams a private loan lender, we are private bodies giving out all kinds of loans to people who are financially down and in needs of financial help, we give out loans at very cheap rate without any stress. our company is well registered and capable of giving out loans to individuals and cooperate bodies in good conditions. our services are fast and easy. if you are interested in getting loan from us kindly contact us on our company email: paulwilliamsfinance@gmail.com<br><br>visit us today for our reliable services<br>Regards<br>Mr Paul Williams.<br>Company Email: paulwilliamsfinance@gmail.com <br>Contact us now.</p>
<p>I just receive my loan of $50,000 from Mac quarie credit Union, after I was let than by other lenders, Mac quarie credit Union Have really put a smile on my face, now I can take good care of my business and others personal needs, you can contact him on his email via: Macquariecreditunion@outlook.com contact him now for your loan he is a legit loan lender</p>
<p>GOOD DAY,</p><p>GET OUT OF DEBT TODAY AND GAIN ACCESS TO FINANCIAL FREEDOM</p><p> Our obligation is helping the needy to gain financial stability,in order to meet up with the demands of living,and helping those who are in financial crises.Those who have been seriously turned down by their banks don't loose hope look up to CURTIZ MORGAN LOAN FIRMS,via;(curtizmorganloanfirms@mail.com).Sometimes we all need funds very urgently, even when we are getting a handsome salary or doing very well in business because of some unexpected expenses,such as</p><p>===household bills,</p><p>===wedding,</p><p>===illness or</p><p>===car repairing expenses do come up so,If you are experiencing a hard blow of bad luck or frustration due to lack of finance come get a reliable loan from us today,and you can also contact us....... via</p><p>curtizmorganloanfirms@mail.com</p><p>AVAILABLE LOANS</p><p>1. Personal Loans</p><p>2. Business Loans</p><p>3. Combination Loan</p><p>4. House Loan</p><p>5. Student loan e.t.c</p><p>SPECIAL FEATURES</p><p>===mega loans up to-$ 1,000,000,000.00</p><p>===Avail of loans up-to $1,000,000.00</p><p>===No Guarantor, No Collateral required EXCEPT CURTIZ MORGAN LOAN FIRMS offer</p><p>===Flexible repayment options with tenure up-to 60 months</p><p>===Hassle free application process</p><p>===Easy documentation</p><p>===Quick processing and disbursal,if interested contact us via;curtizmorganloanfirms@mail.com</p><p>BEST REGARDS </p><p>CURTIZ MORGAN</p><p>LOAN CONSULTANT</p>
<p>Hello</p><p> Are you tired of seeking loans and Mortgages,have you been turned down constantly By your banks and other financial institutions,We offer any form of loan to individuals and corporate bodies at low interest rate.If you are interested in taking a loan,feel free to contact us today,we promise to offer you the best services ever.Just give us a try,because a trial will convince you.What are your Financial needs?Do you need a business loan?Do you need a personal loan?Do you want to buy a car?Do you want to refinance?Do you need a mortgage loan?Do you need a huge capital to start off your business proposal or expansion? Have you lost hope and you think there is no way out, and your financial burdens still persists?</p><p>1. NAME OF APPLICANT.............................</p><p>2. RESIDENTIAL COUNTRY .....................</p><p>3. RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS:........................</p><p>4. BUSINESS ADDRESS:...........................</p><p>5. AGE:........................................</p><p>6. OCCUPATION:.....................</p><p>7. AMOUNT OF LOAN REQUIRED ..................</p><p>8.Loan Duration .......................</p><p>9. PURPOSE OF THE LOAN:.........................</p><p>10. Phone NUMBER:.......................</p><p>11.LOAN DURATION........................</p><p>FILL IN THE ABOVE INFORMATION AND SEND IT TO THE CONTACT INFORMATION</p><p> BELOW:EMAIL:cynthiamorgansfunding@gmail.com </p>

About This Instructable




Bio: It's me, Prince Nagle Nagle!
More by nagle:Water bottle rockets! Make your own lightsaber! Start your own summer camp! 
Add instructable to: