Step 1: Parts and Materials
This whole project uses several "metallic" spray paints, steel (flat, gray and metallic), brass and copper(shiny and smooth), and hammered bronze(which dries to a rippled surface giving the appearance of forged or beaten metal). I also used flat black spray paint, aluminum foil, electrical tape, 3M spray glue, hot melt glue and PVC cement. Tools used were scissors, Xacto knife, a hand saw, and a power drill with various large bits. I also bought a commercial LED light to use instead of a candle.
The hat is based on a cheap plastic party hat from the party store, the gears on it were also cheap plastic salvaged from a Gearation toy. The cardboard gears are made from heavy poster board.
The PVC bits were made from a 2 ft. length of inch and three-quarters pipe, a 2 ft. length of three-quarter inch pipe, 2 inch and three- quarter end caps, 1 inch and three-quarters 45 degree elbow, 1three-quarter inch t join, 2 three-quarter inch right elbows, and 2 two and a quarter inch straight adapters, as well as a garden faucet handle, a small bungie cord and a couple feet of ultra-cheap swag chain.
The smoke coming out the chimney is caused by placing dry ice in warm water. Dry ice has several dangerous properties with which you should be familiar before you attempt to handle it. THIS STUFF CAN MAIM OR KILL YOU!! But only if you are stupid and don't know what you are doing. See the above comment about your Brain.
Step 2: The Hat
Step 3: Cardboard Gears
I printed several copies, cut them apart and reassembled them to form the pieces I wanted.
For the side piece I made 4 copies of my final design, glued the copies to poster-board and and cut out four different layers with an Xacto knife, each of which was painted separately and then glued back together. The toothless wheel looks bronze due to the light, however it was actually made by spray gluing aluminum foil to the cardboard before cutting it out, and so was nearly mirror bright. It is also worth noting that there are several "errors" such as missing gear teeth, but nobody noticed those so I guess the overall effect was good enough. I left two tabs sticking off the design proper so that I could cut matching slits into the pumpkin's side and wedge the piece into position for the night.
The mouth gearchain was made by folding a paper in half and cutting one side of the pattern, then opening up the paper to get a good symmetry. The pattern was glued to the poster-board cut out with the Xacto knife and painted black. It was simply wedged into position for the night from the inside of the pumpkin.