I know everyone does steampunk, but here's another one! :) It only took me about 2 hours to do this and that is with a four year old determined to help!
All you will need is:
1. fabric (I used a skirt I bought from goodwill) under $4
2. hot glue gun
3. pair of 70's disco glasses from a costume store or whatever you choose to use for the lenses. under $2 from Party City.
4. belt buckle. about $4 from joanns, but could come from anywhere...an old purse, old belt, etc.
5. doo-dads! I bought a huge bad of gears and some eyelets from Michaels for $3 each, and had some scrap-booking brads from forever ago, but also about $3.
7. paper towel roll or toilet paper roll.
note: the saw in the back was for an unrelated (and actually failed) project....just ignore! :)
Step 1: Destroying Glasses and Shaping Your Goggles
You need to detach the part of the frame that hooks over your ear...sorry, I have no freaking clue what to call that part! :) I simply unscrewed mine,but it may simply depend on your glasses.
I left the center piece for stability as well as aesthetics!
Now for the annoying part; cutting the paper towel roll to fit. It's not particularly difficult, but I am somewhat of a perfectionist and getting two the same size was a little frustrating.
My approach was to cut the first one to a general, although larger size and then slowly cut it down until it felt right. Then tracing it and cutting out the other side.
Note: they will not fit all the way around the rim of the glasses, but that's all right. I also cut a little triangle for the little lip where the screws used to be to make it fit nice and snug.