Hi there! Here, browsing some Instructables, I found a lot of steampunk/cyberpunk/somethingpunk projects, some really interesting. I fell in love with those kind of things, so I decided to make something following this stream.
I've started to look for an idea, some kind of inspiration; I've searched hundreds of sites (well, maybe only dozens, maybe even ten or so). Finally, the idea found me. The inspiration is this: if a noble gentleman who lost his left eye needs to hide his black hole, what in the earth he would use? (I know, it's a bit macabre, but this kind of accident can happen.)
This is the result of my efforts. I hope you like it, please be gentle with your comments, this is my first real Instructable (in english, not my best language: forgive me).
EDIT: Kiteman has suggested me some language improvement. I hopa that this will make my instructable more readable.
Step 1: Gathering materials
Like with any other project, we need to start somewhere. Usually I start sketching my ideas, to have some kind of blueprint to follow. This time I decide to do everything following only my creative talent (if we can call it a talent).
- a 1,5 liter plastic bottle, the harder the better;
- an old leather purse (true or fake, no matter), ready to be dismantled;
- all-purpose glue, like mastic;
- an old pocket watch, not precious, not working and not reparable (maybe also not yours...);
- a piece of cardboard;
- a sheet of transparent plastic;
- 2 small metal hangers;
- gold, copper or bronze permanent marker;
- some uninsulated copper wire, medium thickness.
Instead of a purse and a watch you can use any kind of leather object big enough to provide the required amount of material, and any other mechanical device that can be reduced to a lot of cogs.
The copper wire should be uninsulated for showing the color. If you have a wire with transparent insulation, it will preserve the natural color of copper, otherwise it can develop an ugly oxide patina.
- acrylic paint, any color you like;
- fixative or transparent varnish.
The paint is needed only if the leather's color is wrong for your intentions. For a steampunkish style, you can use black, dark brown, dark bordeaux, anthracite or wet sand color paint. It's up only to you.
- marker, color doesn't matter;
- mechanical pen, again color doesn't matter;
- X-acto knife, cutter or pocket knife, whatever you want;
- sandpaper (medium grit);
- some paper towels;
- a working table or something to cover your desk.
The latter two items are really important: you don't want to stick your finger to your project or to ruin a good looking desk, trust me. You can replace all blades with electric tools, at your choice.
You may need some other tool, like pliers or hammers, depending on your material and your intention. No, I don't mean that you can throw the hammer to your younger brother.