Most remote controls look pretty much the same, they serve a purpose.....they could look good too. This is for my Steampunk sound system. I haven't seen any steampunk remote controls on the web (googling 'steampunk remote control' - virtual ones exist though) so I thought I would create this one. The hardest part is making the levers, which I thought would make this more authentic, I know I should have done this electronically.....but obviously I needed a greater challenge!
The pictures have explanations (some pictures you have to click on to see the description) as well as the text...if you have any questions please ask in the comments or PM me.
For some reason the video has no sound but it shows the remote control working. You will still be able to see it working, just the music is not there...which is probably a good thing by not infringing copyrights.
Step 1: Getting the 'stuff'.
Items to get:
Wood Stain (optional)
Brass Plate + Brass strip for battery compartment
Typewriter Keys (10)
Compression Springs (10)
Thick Copper Wire (approx 2-3mm thick)
Varnish (I love Danish oil)
Brass Tubes (approx 3mm square and one that slides inside of this)
Small magnets (dia 3mm)
Small piece of mesh
For tools you will need the standard (or not so standard) power tools:
Router (preferably set up in a table + bits)
Dremel (or equivalent with metal cutting blade)
Drill (plus bits and brass brush for polishing brass)
Saw (I used a band saw)
Soldering Iron + Solder
The usual hand tools (screw drivers etc).
Step 2: Cutting the wood pieces
First up I cut the wood to size (14 x 8 x 1cm) big enough to hold the remote control (as seen in the picture below). The wood should be thick enough to allow for everything you will be putting inside, including the levers to operate the remote. I then routed the wood out to create space for the electronics before I rounded the corners. Stick the two pieces of wood together. The following day, once the glue has dried, shape the the outside edges with a router. Split it (with a band saw, it's easier than hand sawing) just off centre (i.e.not where you glued the two halves together). The first holes I cut for the keys did not work for me, although I really liked the black typewrite keys the stems were off centre, so I used the white typewriter keys which had the stems in the centre of the button. Also the holes weren't very well placed even though the grid I marked was evenly spaced. I drilled a hole in the top for a glass dome (from the Bower) for the IR transmitter.
Step 3: Remote fits comfortably inside box
Step 4: ....and now the brass.
Then using a drill with a brass brush, polish the brass to within an inch of it's life. I did it this way because it had a lacquer coating which is hard to get off any other way (apart from sanding which leaves too many scratches).
I = On/Off (Didn't have an 'O')
M = Menu
U = Up (Navigating the Menu)
B = Back one step
E = Enter
F = Forward one step
P = Play/Pause (changed to increase volume)
D = Down (Navigating the Menu)
( = Volume down (changed to play/pause)
) = Volume up (changed to decrease volume)
Step 5: Preparing the keys
Step 6: Adding the levers (it's all done with smoke and mirrors)
Step 7: Connecting the remote control with the levers.
Step 8: Covering that big gaping hole!
Step 9: Now to add a battery compartment...
As an add on, I also connected a blue LED to the batteries which lights up the edge of the remote control...this is purely optional.
Step 10: We only need to add the back now...
The final part is to screw on the back. Drill 4 holes in the corners and screw the back on and it's finished...time to enjoy your creation.
Things to add:
Switch to turn on blue LED