I made it in TechShop. You just need to take the MTL103: Basic Metal Shop SBU class in order to be qualified to use all the tools in the TechShop for this piece.
Tools you'll need:
- Rolling & Embossing tool (we'll cover how to make one from a cheap chisel)
- Planishing hammer (pneumatic is best, but a hand planishing hammer is fine)
- Rivetter (for pull rivets)
- Beverly shear (or hand shear)
- Drill (with 1/8" cobalt or titanium bit)
- Polishing wheel for the grinder
- Wire wheel for the grinder
- Hand file or maybe a Dremel tool (I used a hand file)
- C clamp
Materials you'll need:
- 0.03" thick stainless steel sheet metal
- Rivets (1/8" diameter, 1/4" or 1/2" length depending on the thickness of where you are attaching the wings, I needed 1/2" length with the helmet shown). You can use pull rivets (as I did) or make your own from roofing nails.
- Rivet washers (1/8" diameter hole)
Step 1: Notes on Tools
You can follow these instructions on how to make and use the rolling & embossing tool.
The wire wheel for the grinder isn't necessary, you can use just the polishing wheel to make a mirror finish, but I liked the frosted steel effect the wire wheel creates.
Step 2: Make the template
Step 3: Cut out the sheet metal
Grind off the burrs from the edges and feathers with the grinder and hand files. When using a hand file, it's helpful to clamp the piece in between two pieces of wood in a vice.
Step 4: Roll the inner edges
Step 5: Emboss the feathers
Step 6: Polish the wings
Step 7: Build the brass dome covers
Step 8: Bolt the wings and domes to the helmet
That's it, enjoy!