Introduction: Stellar-X Pallet Table
Check out this table. I'll apologize in advance for the stock photos and the ms paint drawings. I didn't take the time to capture the build step by step like I should have. Also, I'm quite the amateur when it comes to wood working. I have a hard time putting my actions into words. I just do it--like Nike....
Step 1: Get Some Pallets
I used two pallets--buy them, loot them, find them...haha
Step 2: Rip Pallets Apart...carefully
Step 3: Figure Out What You Want to Do With Your Wood...
I began by determining how tall and wide I wanted the final product to be. I wanted to leave a slight overhang along the sides so I made the main frame a couple of inches shorter in length and width.
Step 4: Frame It Up
I chose to build a frame first so the planks would have some structure to follow. I used a "t" frame so that I could attach necessary secondary braces. The diagram speaks for it's self, really. I used the thicker supporting 2x4s (or similar) for the outer frame and the inner frame. After forming the rectangle and "t" I added a thinner strip to each side of the middle brace so I would have more surface area to attach the top planks.
Step 5: Cut the Planks on a 45
Cutting on a 45° can be tricky. I messed A LOT of good wood trying to cut the top planks for this piece. I really can't offer advice on cutting. It was a miracle that I cut enough decent pieces for this table. The diagram for this step is completely wrong-and I apologize.
Step 6: Finish It Up--attach the Planks and Legs
This step also brought out my worst. Being that pallets are all different, most of the planks weren't the same. I lined them up as best i could prior to attaching them just so i could make sure my design would work. I began by attaching the strip that runs from end to end through the center of the table. I then started in the center of the "t" frame and worked outward with my 45° planks. I left the open places for the triangles and cut and attached those next to last.
I was trying to decide what to put around the top of the table to give it a close look and to take everyone's eyes off of the imperfect planks when I noticed a piece of wood that I had ripped for an earlier piece. I had ripped a 2x4 with the grain so that the nail holes would show through. As far as I'm concerned this epiphany made the table what it is.
I then turned it on its top and attached the legs--which were also finished 2x4s. I'm not sure how to attach the legs properly--i just screwed them until they weren't wobbly.
I used small finishing nails to fasten the planks and 2" screws to attach the legs.
Finally, I brushed a light coat of polyurethane to bring out the wood grains and seal the wood.