This project is very simple to do but it is incredibly rewarding, you get to make something that you can customize and actually use, it's better than a regular pencil because it looks great and it feels good in your hand.
Step 1: Tools and Materials
- Secateurs (garden scissors)
- Gardening gloves
- A Pencil (thicker the graphite the better)
- Drill (can be any type)
- A Stick
Step 2: Sourcing your wood
What to look for
- First of all look for a bush...
- Then find a straight section of a branch
- It doesn't matter if the section has other branches coming off it, you can cut and sand these down.
- You don't want it to feel like a log in your hand so pretend to hold the branch like its a pencil and see if it is the right thickness, The section i used was 14mm thick.
Now you have a big leafy section, trim off all the other branches and leaves until you have the plain straight section.
Step 3: Smoothing it out
Using the sandpaper first smooth any bumps then lightly run the sandpaper up and down the stick so it feels smooth to the touch, don't press to hard though or the bark will wear away.
Step 4: Drilling the Hole
To create the hole we need a drill, any type of drill will do, I used a Dremel to drill mine.
When you choose your drill bit hold the pencil next to it and make sure the drill bit is just a tiny bit thicker, Then drill your hole.
If you cant drill the entire length of the stick don't worry, just drill as far as you can
Step 5: Getting the Graphite
Most pencils wooden casing will split if you apply pressure but we don't want the graphite to snap so we cant just jump on it.
Using Scissors or the Garden scissors you used earlier, clamp down on the flat end of the pencil, this should cause a split in the wood and you can snap it off, Keep on snapping the wood off until you have enough graphite exposed to fill the hole you drilled. Then simply snap the graphite off.
Alternatively you could break open a ball point and make a Stick-Biro..
Step 6: Gluing the Graphite
Squirt some of the glue into the hole in the stick and then put a few drips on the graphite itself, now simply slide the graphite into the hole. Wait 10-15 minutes for the glue to dry before moving on to the next step.
Step 7: Shaping the Tip
You could use a normal pencil sharpener for this bit but using a knife make it look better.
With a knife shape the end into a point and then do the same for the tip of the graphite
Step 8: Finished Pencil
But if you want to customize your pencil, read on !!
Step 9: Customization Time
- Paint it
- Carve a pattern into bark
- Add a rubber grip
- Swap the graphite for the inside of a ball-point pen
- Strip of all the bark
- Burn words/symbols into it
If you want to do something similar, read on.
• First use a craft knife to cut a rectangular box in the bark, then with the tip of the knife pick at the edges and pull the bark square off.
• Next use a pencil to faintly mark where the words will go
• Now heat up your soldering iron
• Once heated use the iron to burn the wood and write your words.
• Depending on the power of your iron you may need to go over the words to make them stand out.
• Step back and admire your creation.
Step 10: The End - Thanks for Reading
If you just read it, Thanks for reading :D
This instructable is in the book contest and i'd really like to see it get in the book because anybody can make this, its fun, useful and easy to make,
So if you did like this please Vote, Rate and Comment !!!
Stay Creative =SMART=