Warning - this cake is seriously addictive!
for more delicious recipes check out my blog www.artsyteenblog.wordpress.com
Step 1: Ingredients
for the cake
150g / 3/4 cup granulated / caster sugar
175g/ 3/4 cup butter (softened)
175g/ 1 1/2 cup self raising flour (sifted)
1 tsp vanilla essence
juice and zest of 1 lemon
for the syrup
1 cup caster sugar
juice and zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup water
Step 2: Method
- Preheat oven to 180'C (375'F) and line a 5 x 9 inch rectangular baking tin with parchment paper .
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and butter.
- Add eggs and flour. Mix well.
- Stir in vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Empty mixture into tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While your cake is baking, make the lemon syrup. Heat sugar, lemon juice, zest and water over a low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved (about 10 minutes).
- When the cake is ready, remove from oven. Using a fork or skewer, poke holes all over the cake (this helps the cake absorb the syrup).
- Pour syrup over cake and leave to cool.