Introduction: Stone Sledge Hammer
This is a prop "hammer" I made for my girlfriends post-apocalyptic halloween costume.
I think total this was less than $20 to make.
If you like her steampunk goggles click here and learn how to make your own!
The materials needed:
1. 1" diameter dowel rod
2. Two 1" inner diameter napkin rings (should be in the same isle as the dowel rod)
3. Hot glue gun
4. Paint (optional primer, and whatever color paint you choose)
5. Leather strips
6. Rivets (I used 5/16 " medium rivets)
7. Optional - Stain (whatever color) for leather
8. Leather punch
9. Various sharpee in different colors (optional)
10. A foam prop stone (won off eBay for $8) or whatever weapon head you choose.
That's it, lets get started shall we?
Step 1: Sanding and Painting
1. Sand the dowel rod and napkin rings with 220 sandpaper. (or grit of your choice).
2. Spray a layer of primer on the rod. (This of course is optional, I chose not to primer the napkin rings)
3. Next, paint the dowel rod and napkin rings with your primary paint color.
Step 2: Prepping the Leather
1. Cut out 3/4" - 1" wide strips of leather of varying lengths and punched 2 wholes out on each side.
(exact measuring isn't needed for anything except the rivet holes)
NOTE: I only needed about half of the leather in picture one for this project.
2. Wet the leather down for molding and staining.
3. Stain the leather with a paper towel or wool dauber.
NOTE: Wait till the stain is dry enough to not stain your fingers but the leather is still wet before the next step.
Step 3: Applying the Leather Handle
1. Rivet a strip of leather like the first photo to be the diameter of the dowel rod.
2. Rivet strips of leather like picture 2 to you're desired length of the handle.
3. Loop the leather from step one over the dowel rod, like photo 3. (The metal hook in picture was put in to hand the rod for painting)
4. Hot glue the leather to the rod wrapping it to the desired length you want your handle to be.
NOTE: Picture 5 & 6 are the finished handle
Step 4: Random Artwork (optional)
So I decided to girl this dowel rod up because the plain pink was well, plain. I sharpeed some heart and stars on the rod with some random swirls and girly things. The pictures are the rod from different angles.
Step 5: The "hammer" Head
So I searched around on eBay and won this foam rock. It looks realistic but squishes like a pillow. Was a great find.
1. Take a long knife or scissors and cut a hole in the middle of your weapon head the width of the dowel rod.
NOTE: My hole isn't a 1" diameter only because it's foam and has a lot of "give" to it.
Step 6: Making This Rod a Weapon!
1. Take the napkin rings you painted earlier and slip one down your dowel rod the desired length of your weapons head.
2. Hot glue the napkin ring in place
3. Place your weapon head (in this instance, the foam rock) on the dowel rod and push it down to the napkin ring, gluing it in the process.
4. Place the second napkin ring on the end of the dowel rod sticking out and glue it on.
You're are finished!
Step 7: Finished Product
Hope you enjoy and Happy Halloween!
If you like her steampunk goggles on her head, click here and learn how to make your own!