For the first you will need two clean hands.
For the second you will need a mouthful of potable liquid.
Either method is useful regardless of your location or situation so anyone is capable of using them to cure themselves of this pesky condition whenever or wherever it pops up. It is also completely free and simple to teach.
Step 1: Method 1
- Use your thumbs to pinch your nose shut & close your nasal passage air tight.
- Use your middle fingers (or whichever fit best) to plug both your ears as tight as possible.
- Breath in and out through your mouth as calmly and slowly as you can manage.
- Count to thirty Mississipi (or Mississauga.)
- Unplug your ears and nose.
- Keep breathing calmly and slowly.
- The hiccups should be gone.
Method 1 works nine times out of ten on common cases. For the tenth time, see method 2.
Step 2: Method 2
- Find and sip a mouthful of water (or any other beverage.)
- Don't swallow yet.
- Bend over at the waist (either while standing or from a sitting position.)
- Imagine trying to get your head as close to upside-down as possible.
- Now swallow.
- Stand up, clear your throat and breath deeply.
Your hiccups should be gone. If not, repeat methods 1 and 2 a few more times each over a short period of time. [ If hiccups persist beyond a couple of hours you may want to consult a physician for a pharmaceutical form of treatment.]