Introduction: Stormtrooper Style Log Burner
After the awesome feedback I've received for my Vader style log burners and been a bit of a Star Wars nerd, I've been wanting to try a stormtrooper design for a while now so here goes.
Step 1: Design
My biggest challenge was trying to create the sides on the helmet, I was struggling for what to make them out of. I ended up using to top section of a large gas bottle and it turned out great.
When cutting into gas bottles I always make sure they are empty and then fill with water to displace any gas let inside. I then use a 110mm grinder and ultra thin cutting discs. My out should only use bottles from companies that have ceased trading too as gas bottles remain the property of the gas companies for their entire life.
Step 2: Mock Up
I used bits of tape and magnets to mock up the basic shapes. The front of the burner was cut and then bent outwards from between the eyes to create to shape.
Step 3: Pipes and Tubes
To create the shape around the mouth I used a thin piece of tuning that I chopped up and two pieces os scaffolding bar which I squashed and welded together. I then added two more sections to either side of the helmet from the top if the larger gas bottle to start filling in the front of the helmet.
Step 4: Big Old Cheeks
The top of the cheeks on the helmet we're again made from sections of the large gas bottle, tacked into place and the persuaded where to go with my sledge hammer. I used my grinder a flap paddle wheel to shape the parts around the bent scaffolding bits at the front.
Step 5: Grind It...
I used more scaffolding bits to create the ear shapes. A piece of square bar was used to create the helmet rim. I then set about grinding the thing to death...
Step 6: Chimney and Door
For fear of ruining the front of the helmet I decided to put the door on the rear of the burner, a little more time and designing and mate I could have made the front open but I was too scared of messing it up. I opted for a swept back style chimney on the top of the helmet.
Step 7: Burn the Witch
Bored of grinding the paint off I decided to do a little test burn...
Step 8: More Grinding
After the fire had died and the burner had cooled I then grinded and polished the burner, coated it in two coats of ultra high temp clear coat and hit it with some black UHT detailing around the mouth and hamlet rim.
For sale on eBay
Check out my other designs on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burned-by-Design/15...
ahuber6 made it!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.