Introduction: Straight Kick'N Beef Chili
Step 1: Ingredients
A pot of Beef Chili sitting on the stove ready to serve is the perfect end to a day in the sun. As a main dish or topping or part of even more adventurous eatings this is Kick'N It Old School Style and Loving It!
- 2 1/4 pounds of Ground Beef Chuck 80/20 Blend
- 1 each 24 ounce jar Bertolli Organic Tomato Sauce (Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic)
- 1 each 14.5 ounce can Hunts Diced Tomato (Basil, Garlic & Oregano)
- 1 each 6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1 each shot glass (2 fluid ounces) Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 each shot glass (2 fluid ounces) McCormick Chili Powder
- 1/3 each shot glass McCormick Ground Cumin
- 1/3 each shot glass McCormick Spanish Paprika
- 1/3 each shot glass McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1 each tablespoon McCormick Pure Ground Black Pepper
- 1 each teaspoon Morton Kosher Salt
- 1 each shot glass (2 fluid ounces) minced Garlic
- 1 each pint glass diced Brown Onions
Step 2: Instructions
Wash your hands with medium hot water and soap.
- In a large preheated skillet begin cooking 2 1/4 pounds ofGround Beef Chuck 80/20 Blend. 80/20 refers to the proportion of 80% Lean Ground Beef and 20% Fat.
- Add 1 each tablespoon McCormick Pure Ground Black Pepper and continue cooking down the ground beef. Once the ground beef has been cooked thoroughly (takes 8 to 10 minutes) turn off heat continue to stir.
- Allow to cool on stove for approximately 10 minutes.
- With a calendar in a stainless steel bowl drain out the liquid which is almost entirely oil from the fat content.
- Allow the drained oil to cool and dispose in your plastic trash bag. I highly recommend NOT pouring it down the sink.
- Set aside the cooked beef and begin cooking the base.
- In a large preheated skillet pour 1 each shot glass Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil and add 1 each pint glass diced Brown Onions.
- Add 1 each shot glass minced Garlic and 1 each teaspoon Morton Kosher Salt.
- Stir frequently for 3 to 5 minutes until onions begin to slightly stew or become a little soft.
- Add 1 each 24 ounce jar Bartolli Organic Tomato Sauce,
- 1 each 14.5 ounce can Hunts Diced Tomato and 1 each 6 ounce can Hunts Tomato Paste continue to stir.
- Now add the drained cooked ground beef and stir frequently until blended thoroughly.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Turn heat down to simmer.
- Add first 1 each shot glass containing McCormick Ground Cumin, McCormick Spanish Paprika and McCormick Oregano Leaves.
- Stir to blend spices with beef and tomato sauce base.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Finally add 1 each shot glass McCormick Chili Powder and stir to blend.
- If Chili thickens too much simply thin with water for this recipe I used 1 each martini glass of warm water and let sit.
Step 3: Drain the Fat
As you cook down the Ground Beef Chuck it will appear to be swimming in oil. That is the fat content turning to oil but don't be in a hurry to drain the meat. The fat content really gives the beef flavoring. Once you've turned off the heat on the cooked beef let it sit in the fat oil as it cools for about 10 minutes to become more flavorful.
Step 4: Sautee the Onions and Garlic
The amount of Star Extra Virgin Olive Oil may seem a little too much at first. But draining all the excess fat from the cooked beef will leave it a little dry the additional EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) will add flavor and keep the chili from drying out.
Step 5: Tomato Sauce
Creating your Tomato Sauce Base (Bertolli Organic Tomato Sauce, Hunts Diced Tomato and Hunts Tomato Paste) and adding the cooked drained ground beef should take 5 minute. Once stir blended allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 6: Add Water
When adding the final spices allow 5 minutes between the first three and the final one. This gives time for the first set of spices to blend. You can add water at any time of this process if the chili begins to thicken too much.
Step 7: DONE!
Kicking and screaming its way into your heart. A bowl of the Straight Kick'N Beef Chili with the Parmesan CheezzyBread is a match made in you kitchen heaven. All we're missing here is an ice cold beer or two.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.