Introduction: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Served With Hot Devon Custard
A few days ago, I invented this lovely strawberry rhubarb crumble! We harvested fresh rhubarb stalks from our own allotment! It was 638 gr in total! Ooh yes! I made it twice this week, each time, I used 318 gr to use up my lovely rhubarb! :) The crumble itself is completely vegan but what I serve with it, is not! That is dairy-full so not vegan at all! You can make it completely vegan by serving a vegan hot custard! :)
You can taste the lovely speculaas cookies in the crumble top & ginger & cinnamon in the filling too! You still see pieces of cooked rhubarb in your filling, not fallen apart at all! That is what you want!
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients!
Recipe: For 7 portions
* For the topping aka crumble:
100 gr cold vegan butter, straight from the fridge, cut up into smaller pieces
100 gr white spelt flour
75 gr coconut sugar
75 gr speculaas cookies ( biscoff), crumbled up into bigger & smaller pieces.
* For the yummy filling:
300 gr fresh ripe strawberries, each hulled & cut into 2 or 4
300 gr fresh rhubarb stalks, cleaned & each stalk cut up into longer pieces, each max 2 cm
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons water
75 gr coconut sugar
* To serve: Hot custard like Ambrosia Devon custard, heated up, until hot, stirring often. Or use a vegan hot custard! :)
Step 2: Make Your Crumble Topping!
1. Make your crumble topping first. Take a medium bowl & ad spelt flour & coconut sugar together. Mix well with a spoon. Now, add knobs of vegan butter & the crumbled speculaas cookies. With clean hands, mingle everything together until it looks like smaller & bigger bread crumbs! see picture! Set aside.
Step 3: Make Your Tasty Filling!
2. Preheat your oven to 200°C ( 400 F ) for about 10 minutes. Now, make the filling! In a medium cooking pot, add rhubarb pieces, ginger powder, cinnamon, coconut sugar & water. Mix well on low-heat until it all caramelizes & until your rhubarb is starting to soften a bit. This will be after 5 minutes or so. Turn heat off & set aside. In that same pot, add cut up strawberries & mingle together well. Try not to damage the strawberries.
Place this mix into a fitted oven dish & crumble your topping on top, evenly divided. Place into the hot oven & bake for about 20 minutes. After 13 minutes, I turned the oven temp lower on 175° C ( 350 F) ! Because the coconut sugar & speculaas cookies will caramelize & the crumble topping will be darker in color than normal white sugar. So, check often! You don’t want it to burn! ;) !!!
Step 4: Bake Your Assembled Crumble!
3. After 17-20 minutes of baking, the filling will be bubbling & check with a fork to see if your rhubarb has been cooked through. My crumble was ready after 17 minutes of baking! Turn oven off & take crumble out of the oven to cool off for 5 minutes. Take lovely dessert plates & scoop a big piece of your lovely crumble with the juices on your dessert plate! Pour some of your hot custard besides it so that it ends up near & over your crumble like picture above! :) When you serve this rhubarb strawberry crumble, you surely need this hot custard alongside it! Peter, my parents & I can’t eat rhubarb crumble without it! ;) MMM!
You can also find this tasty recipe here on my blog: http://sophiesfoodiefiles.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/strawberry-rhubarb-crumble-vegan/