The instructables robot was the second robot to join the family of STRAWBOTS. The other members will be unveiled shortly. Stay tuned!
* Don't forget to watch the animation at the end of this instructable.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- Craft Foam - Yellow, White, Black, Red, Grey
- Black Straws ( I get mine from Harvey's - they are a slightly larger diameter than a standard 1/4" straw)
- Black Hair Elastics (available at most dollar stores)
- Tape or Marker (for adding details like the face)
- Wheels - K'nex or any other wheels you can find
- Double-sided tape
- Zip tie
- Hole punches (1/8", 1/4")
- Utility knife
- Pencil or Pen
- Template (paper or plastic)
Step 2: Trace Templates
- You can use a pen or pencil. I find pen rolls better on the foam, yet pencil shows up better on black material.
- Try to maximize the usage of your foam depending on the size of sheet you start with.
- I use the paper template for the hand because it was so small.
* You'll likely be using the paper templates, which I'll describe in the next step.
Step 3: Paper Template
- Cut out the paper pieces with scissors and punch out holes with a punch. Then carefully trace around the paper patterns on to the foam.
- I find that it's much easier to tape the cut paper patterns to the foam temporarily with double sided tape. Then cut the pieces out with the paper in place. This way, you only have to punch the holes once.
* If you're using the double-sided tape method, do not tape over areas where you'll need to punch holes. The tape will gum up your punch.