I also made a real looking egg with yolk using the same technique.
Step 1: What You Will Need:
- Small water balloons (I was lucky to find balloons that were roughly the same size and shape as real eggs)
- Crochet thread/ embroidery thread/ yarn/string etc.
- Chocolate, small toys or trinkets to place inside eggs
- Equal parts granulated sugar and water
- Pin, fine scissors and tweezers
- Measuring cup, cooking pot, and spoon for stirring
- Optional: pump for blowing up balloons
Step 2: Making the Sugar Mixture
To make the sugar mixture:
- Measure equal parts granulated sugar and water and place in a cooking pot on the stove. I used a quarter cup of each which was more than enough. Best to use refined sugar, I only had organic sugar at home which wasn't a pure white which may have coloured the yarn a bit darker.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- When sugar is completely dissolved remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour into a shallow container.