This is the perfect dish to make when the weather starts to get cool, and perfectly ripe acorn squash begin to appear at the grocery store. The combination of sage, apples, and squash works really well together and is very filling!
1 large acorn squash
1 lb ground beef
1 large apple, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (peeling is optional, I am lazy and leave the skin on)
1 large white onion, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp coconut flour
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and dry your squash. Using a large sharp knife, cut the squash in half vertically. Using a spoon, scoop out all of the seeds and throw them in the trash.
2. Place the 2 halves of acorn squash cut side down in a large baking dish (I use glass pyrex) and bake for 40 minutes.
3. While the squash is baking, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add your chopped onions and apples to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes. Add the ground beef and break up with a spoon. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in your brown sugar, sage, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 more minute, stirring until everything is well mixed.
4. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the 2 tsp of coconut flour. This helps all the juices at the bottom of the pan to absorb into your "stuffing" mixture.
5. When the squash are done cooking, remove the baking dish from the oven (but leave oven turned on) and flip the squash right side up so that they form little bowls. Spoon your beef mixture into each squash. Depending on how big your squash is, you might have leftover beef mixture, which you can cook in a ramekin and eat as leftovers the next day.
6. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving because these are VERY hot and will burn your mouth if eaten right out of the oven.
Makes 2 servings (plus leftovers)...or 3-4 smaller servings if you use 2 small acorn squash.
Notes: I like having acorn squash on my counter because they will sit there and last for WEEKS without going bad! This is a very easy dinner to make when you have nothing left in the fridge. I always have ground beef in my freezer, and an apple & onion lying around. It tastes amazing and makes you feel very full after eating. I usually serve this with a very light salad....