Introduction: Sugar Skull Makeup
I absolutely love sugar skulls and this year for halloween I decided to make my face into one. Easy tutorial on how to make sugar skull makeup!
Step 1: Supplies
*Black liquid and pencil eyeliner
*Eyeshadow brush/blush brush
*Black and white eyeshadow
*White halloween makeup or white shimmer powder
*Mascara (black or brown)
*Bright eyeshadow (any color will do, I used gold and teal)
*Large stand mirror
Step 2: Face Prep
Once your face is completely cleared of makeup, take a sponge or makeup brush and lightly cover your entire face with the white face paint or shimmer powder. Make sure your entire face is completely white (including eyelids and lips), this will give you a good skull effect. If you'd like, you can also cover your neck with the paint, it's up to you. I just did my face. Now, with a small blush brush and black eyeshadow, brush the upper portion of each side of your cheekbones (as if you are putting on regular blush). You now have a starting base to work with!
Step 3: Eye Shadow
1. With the gold eyeshadow, take your eyeshadow brush and beginning from the inner corner gently brush in the inner crease and lower portion of your eye.
2. The goal is to create a contrasting effect with the teal color, so just a little on top and bottom is fine.
3. Repeat with other eye.
4. With the teal eyeshadow, brush upper lid and lower portion of the eye in a circular fashion, going about 2 inches of the way down. You can stop about 1/4 inch away from where your eyebrow starts.
5. Repeat with other eye.
6. With the white eyeshadow, make a 1/2 inch ring around the teal eyeshadow. Blend together a little with your brush.
7. Repeat other eye.
NOTE: Doing my own makeup, I used MAC brand because they have brilliant colors and it stays on for a long time. I also put the eyeshadow on quite heavy to show the dramatic look of the sugar skull.
Step 4: Eyeliner
Now that we have our eyeshadow prepped, we can move onto the eyeliner and detailed portion of the face.
Directions: For the eye portion-
1. With the pencil liner, make a 1/2 inch ring around the white/teal portion of the eye. Make sure you cover your eyebrow fully so it is not showing (as you can see in the picture). Make a thick area with the eyeliner around your eye. Put mascara on.
3. Over top of the pencil, go over with the liquid liner to fill in areas and create a darkened look.
4. With the liquid liner, start at the top portion of the black ring and create small loops around the circumference. They can be smaller loops, as you see in the picture, I made mine quite small because I wanted room to create details.
5. Around every other loop or so, with the liquid liner, make tiny dots around the circle.
6. Repeat with other eye.
-For the decorative portions:
*You can get creative with this part, I decided to make a cross with the eyeliner between my eyebrows.
*I also made a heart and some swirls around my forehead and chin because those areas are bare.
Step 5: Nose, Lips & Stitches
Directions- The nose
1. The nose is fairly easy, all you need to do is create about a 1 inch outlined area and fill in with the pencil eyeliner (refer to picture).
For the mouth:
1. This was my favorite part! With the black pencil eyeliner, fill in the inside portion of your lips, making sure you don't touch the outlining of your lips, you just want to create a black accent.
2. With the liquid liner, starting from the corner of your mouth draw a 3-4inch line.
3. Make 1/2 inch marks vertically about 1/2 inch apart from each other. Do the same to the other side.