The speaker system is powered by the minty boost USB charger. Plug in your ipod and listen to some sweet tunes.
There are four legs that retract from the suitcase so you can prop the suitcase up and use the surface as a table.
I've recently gotten into re-purposing suitcases. I've found lots of great inspiration online for fun projects. This project was more of a hybrid of things I've seen plus a few new ideas of my own.
Step 1: Materials
1. Suitcase - find a suitcase hard shell. I love this old vintage Samsonite suitcase! However, the edges of the suitcase are curved and this cause a few problems in mounting the legs and hardware. I would suggest finding a suitcase or briefcase that has 90 degree edges (box).
2. 4 Leg Braces - I bought these locking leg braces from McMaster Carr (#2). Let me tell you, I spent a good amount of time figuring out the best way to mount the legs and this was definitely the best option. I'd love to hear other ideas on what could work. I liked these also because the legs sit nicely inside the suitcase and are easy to prop up and lock.
3. 4 Legs - I cut 4 pieces of 1" x 1" wood at length 12"
4. Speakers - I know a little bit about electronics but not too much. Instead of creating a speaker system from scratch I just bought an inexpensive USB powered computer speaker system. It came with all the parts I needed, all I had to do was take it out of its case. Heres a link to the speakers I used.
5. Minty Boost - powers your speakers and is simple to put together. You can buy this here.