I made this device, which cost me about 5 euro, to create engravings without the use of an expensive laser machine.
With just a magnifying glass and a few tricks I am able to make detailed engravings such as logos.
All you need for this instruction:
- a magnifying glass
- some wood
- pvc pipe 5/8"
- 2 pipe clamps
- 2 wire clamps
- 2 screws m2
- 2 screws m2,5
and of cource enough sun!!!
Step 1: Making the Stand
- Cut the pvc pipe to lenght
- Create a plate with a hole for the pvc pipe
- Make a plate to attach the clamps, use the screws instead of the nails to fasten
- Connect the parts and attach the magnifying glass
Step 2: Making the Bed
- Get yourself a wooden plate
- Make some feet and glue them to the plate
- Use a nail from the clamps to make a pin and attach it to the center of the plate
Let the pin stick out for about 3mm (no more than the thickness of the feet)
Step 3: Making Shapes
You can use a positive or negative shape. Or maybe both.
I used wood and made the shapes with a dremel, file and sandpaper.
You can also use foamboard or whatever to make shapes quicker.
Step 4: Engrave
Stick your magnifying glass stand and form to a solid base and stick the material you want to engrave to the bed.
You can now follow the shape with the pin in the bed and make your perfect smooth engraving!
I haven't actually finished this step because of the weather.
I will update this last step with some of my own work when the sun starts to shine!