Introduction: Super Bowl Cupcakes With Oreo & Cream Cheese Truffles
These cupcakes are amazing!! Starting with the best-tasting chocolate cake, these cupcakes are filled with an incredible Oreo cookie whipped cream and frosted with a fluffy buttercream. Each frosted cupcake is topped with a chocolate truffle, made of Oreo cookie and cream cheese covered in milk chocolate...and if that's not enough, they are shaped like footballs with their Royal icing laces!! These will be a hit at any Super Bowl party! Enough said, here's how to make them... Enjoy!! :)
Step 1: Make the Chocolate Cupcakes!
1 1/2 sticks butter- softened
2/3 c. sugar
2/3 c. light brown sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 c. buttermilk- shaken & room temp
1/2 c. sour cream
2 T. brewed coffee
1 3/4 c. flour
1 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350*
2. Cream butter and sugar together
3. Lower speed to medium and add eggs, one at a time
4, Add vanilla and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
6. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sour cream, & coffee.
7. On low speed, add buttermilk mixture and flour mix alternatively in thirds to mixer, beginning with buttermilk and ending in flour. Mix only until blended.
8. Drop batter into paper liners in cupcake pan, fill 2/3 full.
9.Bake 17-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes and then remove to finish cooling.
Step 2: Make the Oreo Cookie Whipped Cream Filling!
Prepare filling while cupcakes are cooling, and make sure they are completely cool before filling.
For the filling, you will need:
1 1/4 c. heavy cream
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
10 Oreo cookies
I mixed the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla together, then mixed at high speed for approx. 2 minutes until the cream formed stiff peaks. Then I crushed the Oreos in my food processor until they were crumbs, then folded them into the whipped cream. There's your filling!
Step 3: Filling the Cupcakes :)
To fill the cupcakes, cut out a cone shape in the middle of each unfrosted cupcake and spoon or pipe the Oreo whipped cream filling in. Replace the top portion of the cut out cone. They will be bumpy, don't worry you will frost over them! :) I personally like frosting cupcakes after I have placed them in the freezer for a bit. It is easier to frost them that way. So I placed them in the freezer, while I proceeded to make the vanilla buttercream frosting.
Step 4: Preparing and Frosting With Vanilla Buttercream!
To prepare the vanilla buttercream frosting, you will need:
1 stick softened butter
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
2 t. clear vanilla (to make white frosting, use clear vanilla)
1/4 c. milk
7 c. sifted powdered sugar
To make frosting:
1. Cream the sugar and shortening together at a med-high speed for about 2 minutes, until it appears smooth and creamy.
2. Add powdered sugar a little at a time, mixing on medium speed.
3. When all powdered sugar is in, it will appear very dry. Add your milk and vanilla at medium-low speed until combined and then increase speed to med-high. If you added too much powdered sugar, add a bit more milk and vice-versa.
4. Pipe the frosting on cupcakes with a frosting bag or Ziploc bag with a corner cut off.
5. Cupcakes are filled...onto the truffles!
Step 5: Preparing the Chocolate Football Truffles!
To prepare the truffles, you will need:
1 package Oreos, finely crushed... with a food processor, or use a rolling pin over a Ziploc bag.
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 10 oz pkg. milk chocolate melting disks, chocolate almond bark, or chocolate chips.
1. Mix the softened cream cheese and the crushed Oreo cookie crumbs together. You can use a large flat spoon, or mix with your hands like I did :)
2. Form the mixture into football shaped balls, approx. 1 1/2 inches long, and place them onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
3. Place them in the freezer for a bit to harden.
4. Meanwhile, melt the milk chocolate to dip the footballs into (melting instructions are on package).
5. Remove them from freezer and dip into the milk chocolate with a fork, removing excess milk chocolate to keep the shape of the footballs. Then lay them back onto the waxed paper.
6. While they are drying... make the Royal Icing for the laces. Onto the icing...
Step 6: Royal Icing to Decorate the Chocolate Football Truffles!
Prepare the Royal Icing to decorate! You will need:
1/2 c. water
3 tbsp. meringue powder (I found this in the cake decorating supplies at Walmart)
4 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract (if you want a pure white icing, use clear vanilla)
1. With paddle attachment, mix the water and meringue powder on low until combined, then on high about one minute until foamy.
2. Add the powdered sugar on low speed a little at a time, add vanilla and then mix on medium to blend together. Now mix on high for 4-5 minutes until stiff, glossy peaks form.
3. If you add too much to this icing, just sift in more powdered sugar.
Store leftover icing with cling wrap pressed against icing to prevent crusting, and then in an airtight container.
(This icing is perfect if you want to individually package cookies! Great consistency!)
Now on to the decorating...after the footballs have dried from being dipped in milk chocolate, you can pipe on the icing with a piping bag or Ziploc bag with a corner cut off. Pipe on the stitching so they resemble footballs! Finally, place a football on each cupcake and you are done! I have placed mine in the freezer so they are all ready for game time!! Have fun! You will get tons of compliments on all your hard work!! :) Candi