Introduction: Super Fruit Sushi
Make some fun and healthy fruit sushi!
Ingredients: Banana, Grapefruit, Orange, Mango, Jicama, Honeydew or Kiwi, Cantaloupe, Chia Seeds, Honey, and Lemon/Lemon Juice
You will also need: Apple Corer OR Glue Stick Lid & Plastic Wrap
Step 1: Nigiri: Rice
- Start by cutting a 0.25" thick slice of jicama.
- Then, take that piece and cut out a rectangle that is 2" by 0.5". Done.
Step 2: Nigiri: Tamago
- Cut out a rectangular piece of mango. It should have the same dimensions as the jicama from the previous step.
- Cut the ends off at an angle (see picture).
- Place on top of jicama.
- Take a toothpick dipped in honey and draw a line down the center of the mango.
- Sprinkle some chia seeds on the honey.
- Use two toothpicks to move the seeds into a straight line.
- Do this down the side of the mango as well.
Step 3: Nigiri: Ebi
- Cut out a rectangular piece of cantaloupe. It should be slightly longer than the jicama- with one end cut at an angle.
- Cut the corners off to give it a rounded look.
- Find the midpoint of the longest side and cut downward, at an angle until you reach the the bottom end of the angled side (see picture).
- To make the tail, take the piece you just cut off and cut a triangle out of it. Tuck the tail underneath the end of the body so that it is sticking out.
- Cut little valleys on the top of the body to give it texture.
- Cut down at an angle
- Then, cut straight down.
- Use the knife blade to remove the piece you just cut.
Step 4: Nigiri: Toro
- Take a slice of grapefruit and peel the membrane off.
- Cut it so that it is the same length as the jicama (2").
- Then, slice it diagonally.
- Place on top of jicama and you're done.
Step 5: Rolls: Outside
- Slice the bananas into little rounds.
- Take an apple corer and remove the center part of the banana. If you don't have an apple corer, find some sort of cylindrical lid- like the one on a glue stick. To use it, just cover the inside with a piece of plastic wrap and push down on the center of the banana.
- Remove the peel and dip the banana into lemon juice (to prevent browning).
- Roll the outside of the banana in honey.
- Roll the banana in chia seeds.
- Cleanup by using a toothpick to move any seeds that may be on top to the sides.
Step 6: Rolls: Inside
- Cut round pieces of kiwi (or honeydew) and cantaloupe to fill the center of the banana. If the pieces you make are not tall enough, take half of one of the banana pieces you just removed and put it back into the hole- then place the kiwi or cantaloupe on top of that.
- For the grapefruit, just keep pushing small pieces into the hole until it is full.
- Try different combinations of fruit to make colorful rolls. Just add the fruit in one piece at a time.
gdingle made it!