Sunkicked's Patented Super Simple Holiday Helper!
Sure, the purists will tell you this is just a simple Grand Marnier sour, but don't let them harsh your future buzz my friends! This is the Holiday Helper you've been looking for, no matter what some Liquor Luddites want to call it!.
Step 1: Drinking on the Fly
- 1 1/2 ounces of Grand Marnier (or, really, any orange flavored hooch you can get your hands on, this is just the good stuff)
- 1 ounce lemon juice (which just so happens to be the amount you can squeeze out of half a medium sized lemon)
- Some form of a measuring device. I have an adjustable measuring cup that does just about every measuring format you can think of in the kitchen. I highly recommend it. The point is you want 1 part lemon juice to 1 1/2 parts booze.
- Cutting board. No sense in destroying Great Aunt Muriel's counter just because her dog peed on your pant leg.
- 1 ounce of club soda
- 1/2 ounce of orange juice (freshly squeezed, if you please)
Honestly, I prefer this drink with the club soda, but I'd skip the orange juice unless it's just too sour for you (though the soda should take care of that). Still, it's your holiday, drink how you want to drink.
Step 2: Over-preparation Is the Foe of Inspiration
Step 3: Measure, Pour, Repeat
Squeeze as much juice as you can out of half of your lemon (you'll need the other half in a few minutes, after your parents start questioning you and your new wife about why there is no news about babies). If you are using a medium sized lemon you should get almost exactly 1 ounce, give or take a few milliliters. Once you've got that going dump it into a glass with some ice. A good glassware choice is a short highball style glass that will serve you well as the vessel you drink from, should you choose to drink it rocky.
Next, measure out your orange flavored boozy goodness (highly recommend Grand Marnier). Dump it in the same glass.
As mentioned above, you can just start drinking right now if things have gotten so bad that your sister is threatening to never come home again. She's such a Drama Queen! Who knew her hair was supposed to look like that?
Step 4: DRINK IT!
Now, if you can't handle drinks that are especially sour, there are a couple of things you can do that will improve upon this already stellar drink.
- Add 1 ounce of club soda. It should dilute the drink enough that even the most sour-phobic palates can handle it, but if that doesn't work you could always...
- Add 1 ounce of orange juice. This should really enhance the orange flavor while counteracting some of the sourness.