I designed a Halloween surfboard costume, designed for middle school aged children for a class project. I, along with four other members of my group, designed a marine accessories line of costumes. Each of us designed and built our own costume, while collaborating with each other for brainstorming, collecting of ideas, constructive criticism, and feedback.
- The costume must fit a middle school aged child
- The costume must be entirely made of cardboard
- The surfboard may not include any fasteners
- The costume must slot together (slotted construction)
- The costume may only be made of recyclable materials
- Surfboard must fit the child correctly
Super Stupendous Surfboard has a couple limitations that should be brought to mind. First of all, it must only be made of cardboard. If you wish to use other materials, you'd be best finding another surfboard costume. It must fit the child (ages 11-14) in order to fit properly and serve its purpose well.
- cutting mat
- utility knife
- 4 sheets of cardboard
- 1 piece measuring 5" x 5"
- 4 pieces measuring 10" x 3"
- 2 pieces measuring 50" x 15"
*note* see attached file "orthographic view" to view dimensions of the pieces
- small connectors (2)
- large connectors (2)
- base pieces (2)
*to see the orthographic view, view links below picture
Step 1: Fin
1. Place the cutting mat on a flat surface.
2. Place the 5" x 5" piece of cardboard on the cutting mat
3. Using the pencil and ruler, measure and trace the outline of the fin using the orthographic view.
4. Using the utility knife, carefully cut out the outline of the fin.
Step 2: Small Connectors
2. Place one of the cardboard sheets measuring 10" x 3" on the mat.
3. Use the pencil and ruler to draw the small connectors, use the orthographic view.
4. Cut the cardboard along the pencil line
5. Fold the cardboard as prescribed in the orthographic view.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 to create the second small connector
Step 3: Large Connnectors
2. Lay the other cardboard sheets measuring 10" x 3" on the mat.
3. Use the pencil and ruler to draw the large connectors, using the orthographic view as a guide.
4. Cut the cardboard sheet with the utility knife.
5. Fold the cardboard according to the orthographic view.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 for the second large connector.
Step 4: Base Piece
2. Lay the first cardboard sheet measuring 50" x 15" on the mat.
3. Use the pencil and ruler to measure and draw the front base piece, using the orthographic view as a guide.
**front base piece is the one with the face hole.
4. Cut the first cardboard sheet according to the orthographic view, using the utility knife.
**this piece should be the front base piece
5. Use the pencil and ruler to draw the other base piece (back piece)
6. Using the utility knife, cut the back base piece.
Step 5: Assembly
2. Slide small connector through base piece on one upper side.
3. Repeat step 2 on the other side.
4. slide large connector through base piece on one lower side.
5. Repeat step 4 on the other side.
HOORAY! Your Super Stupendous Surfboard is complete! Just slip it over your head and prepare to turn heads with your creative and original costume!
*Note* Plan of Procedures attached