This is a survival tool key ring that I put together. It has 9 basic tools that will perform many important functions in a variety of situations. There is a miniature compass, 2 ways to start a fire, dry tender storage, a whistle, a mini pry bar, a bottle opener, surgical blade, a flashlight, a signal light, a mini multi-tool, and a folding knife all stored on a small carabiner. All of these tools together weigh less than 8 ounces. I carry this ring in my pack whenever I'm in the woods.
Step 1: Key Ring Tools
1. Carabiner key ring: Keeps all the tools secure. Tools can be removed and the carabiner can be used to secure other items if needed.
2. Tool Logic Signal Fire Tool: A combo tool with a fire steel, striker, and whistle. Can be used to start fires and as a signaling device. The whistle is very loud.
3. Stainless steel pill box: Waterproof container for fire making tender. Can also be used for holding medication.
4. Zippo style flint wheel refillable lighter: Filled with lighter fluid will start fires. If fluid runs dry, the flint wheel can be used to apply sparks to tender for fire starting.
5. Gerber Artifact mini pry bar w/ bottle opener and Exacto blade: Pry open lids, open bottles, pull small nails, brads, or staples, remove splinters, light cutting chores.
6. Inova mini LED 3 function flashlight: Has high and low light levels and also a strobe function. Use for general illumination or signaling.
7. Gerber Ridge folding single edge knife: Use for general light cutting chores, field dressing game, making fuzz sticks, snare triggers, etc.
8. Leatherman Squirt P4 multi-tool: 7 tools in one includes pliers, knife blade, 2 sided file, medium and small flat tip screwdriver blades, philips screwdriver blade, and leather punch/awl.
9. Mini liquid filled compass on zipper pull: Navigation aid.