Introduction: Sweet Corn Chowder
Summer may not seem like the ideal time for soup, but here in Portland we still get some cool, dreary days (like today). This is a super easy recipe for the upcoming sweet corn season.
2-3 TB butter
1 russet potato
3 ears sweet corn
1 white onion
2 ribs celery
1-2 TB flour
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp thyme
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup fat free Half-and-Half
4 oz shredded sharp cheddar
1. Peel and dice the potato and begin to saute it in a large soup pot with the butter for about 5-10 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are sauteing, chop the remaining vegetables and add to the potatoes when you are finished. Saute for another 5-10 minutes.
3. Carefully sprinkle the flour over of the vegetables and mix very well. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable stock, stirring briskly. Simmer for 10 minutes. While the other vegetables are simmering, you can prepare the corn by shucking and removing the kernels from the cob. I like to cut the corn kernals directly into a colander so I can rinse them easily.
1. Once the potatoes and other vegetables are close to tender, add the corn kernels and thyme. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and slowly add in the wine, half and half, and cheddar. Return to the heat and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.