Introduction: Sweet Organic Apple Pie Galette
In this instructable I will show you how to make a sweet organic apple pie galette. Normally I bake a traditional apple pie but now we will do something different. For the sweet apple pie galette we use almost the same ingredients as for a regular pie but it has a different shape and a different taste. This one is all vegan so are you ready to make this sweet organic apple pie galette?
To make the pie you can use jonagold or Gold reinet apples. If you do not like apples, you can also use pears or peaches or plums or blue berries or any other type of fruit, you can substitute it easily. To keep the pie vegan I use vegan/plant based butter, but you can also use a regular butter if you like.
Step 1: Overview
To make the pie you start out with one cup / 200 gr of flower and put that into my food processor. Then you slowly add 100 gr butter in small while my food processor is spinning. About half way through you add 2 tablespoons of sugar to the dough. When all of the butter has been mixed the dough is a little bit dry. At that point in time you add two tablespoons of cold water to get a consistent dough. Then you take the dough out of the food processor and knead it through with your hands for a couple of minutes before you let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
While the dough is cooling you prepare the apples. There a multiple ways. I used my food processor that has a slicer to cut on big apple in to small slices. You can also use a mandolin slicer (be careful with your fingers) or you can cut an apple into thin slices with a knife. Keep the sliced apple in a bowl. To prevent them from going brown sprinkle with lemon juice.
After half an hour take the dough out of the fridge. use parchment paper to cook the galette on in the oven. So you start out by putting my dough on piece of parchment paper. I flour my rolling pin and roll my dough into a big circle.
Then you brush the bottom of the pie dough with dulce de leche. Normal dulce the leche is not vegan but there is a great alternative, coconut dulce de leche made with condensed coconut milk (choose coconut milk with sugar else you will not get caramel type sauce). The coconut dulce de leche is for everyone who is vegan or lactose intolerant. It is made the exact same why as condensed milk dulce de leche. You can also use jam or nutty hazelnut vegan nutella (see my previous instructable how you can make this).
Then start with the apples about 2 cm from the edge and lay them in a circle. Then a second circle inside the first circle and so on until all of the dough with dulce de leche is covered. Fold the remain dough as crust over the apples to shape into a galette. Pre heat the oven at 375℉/ 175℃. Brush the crust with water and sprinkle sugar on the crust and on top of the apples.
Cook in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes until the crust is nice and brown. Let it cool slightly and serve. You can add so dulce de leche or some whipped cream. Enjoy!
Step 2: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the sweet organic apple pie galette? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 3: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 200 gram flour.
- 100 gram vegan butter (thin slices)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of ice cold water
- 1 apple (jonagold or Gold reinet)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to prevent apples from turning brown
- Pinch of salt.
- 4 tablespoons of dulce de leche, hazelnut paste, favorite jam or marmalade
- Water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to brush and coat the crust
Step 4: Instructions
- Combine flour and butter in a food processor.
- Add sugar, pinch of salt and lastly the water to get a consistent dough.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut the apple in thin slices and sprinkle lemon on the apples. Set aside.
- Take the pie dough and roll it into a 10-12 inch circle with rolling pin.
- Brush about 4 tablespoon of dulce de leche or hazelnutbutter, jam or marmalade in the middle of the pie dough.
- Leave about 1 inch free of the edge.
- Start a circle of apple slices an repeat until the whole pie is filled with slice.
- Preheat the oven at 400F/200C.
- Fold the edge of the dough over the apples as the crust.
- Brush the crust with water. Sprinkle the sugar across the pie.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes in the oven.
- Server immediately.
Step 5: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.