Introduction: Sweet Potato Dog Chews
My puppy loves to chew. She will chew anything she can so we have been trying to occupy her with her own chewy toys and treats to keep her from chewing up anything that she is not supposed to. One of her favorite chew treats is her rawhide. Since rawhides are expensive and not the best for dogs to chew I have been looking for some alternatives for her to chew.
Recently I came across an idea to make chewy treats make of Sweet Potatoes. This great alternative chew treat that is both inexpensive and healthy for my little puppy.
Step 1: Supplies
Here is what you will need to make your own Sweet Potato Chew Treats
Oven for Cooking
Step 2: Cut Up the Sweet Potato
1. Start by washing your potatoes
2. Cut your potatoes lengthwise so that they are about 1/4" thick. If you choose to make them thicker you may need to cook them longer.
3. Place the cut potato slices on a baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake
1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees
2. Cook for 3 hours. - Flip over after 1.5 hours
Step 4: Cool and Store
1. When they are done cooking give them time to cool before giving them to you puppy. - If your chews don't feel completely dry pop them back into the oven for another 30 minutes.
2. Once cool you can put them in the fridge or the freezer to store them. I stuck them in the freezer so they would be a little chewier and last longer
Step 5: Give Treat to Your Puppy
Now give these great chews to your puppy. My puppy really enjoys them and it keeps her busy for a little while.
lucychops made it!