So, it needs to be portable. It needs to be jolly loud so people can hear it over the dancing and over this "urbane" music I hear so much about. Shall I look down the local wireless emporium? Good Lord, all that plastic! Isn't there anything made of finely polished wood and brass? Is there nothing with the appropriate finesse and panache? No?
Well, I guess i'll just have to roll up my sleeves and do it myself...
Vintage suitcase (I got mine cheap from a vintage shop as it'd been left out in the rain)
Car Speaker (mine came from an audi in a scrapyard)
12v battery (7Ah Lead Acid, sealed.)
Inline 12v Blade fuse holder
Brass gauges (not essential but look really cool, keep your eyes open in dingy antiques shops for a bargain)
Hessian Cloth (used to conceal the car speakers)
Gloss Varnish (shiny)
Round End Crimps (several different sizes)
Spade Crimps (to connect to the battery)
Stereo component cable to 3.5mm jack
6mm square dowel
12mm by 4mm rectangular dowel
20mm by 6mm rectangular dowel
15mm by 40mm batten
Hot Glue Gun
You may have to solder the speaker wires to the speaker terminals. I had the crimp connections from the cables that were used in the car I salvaged the speakers from, and soldered the speaker wires to those.
The switch is used to turn the amp on and off without taking the front off the stereo. Wiring instructions for a remote on switch will either be included with your amp, or instructions can probably be found by googling. There are some very helpful In-Car Entertainment forums out there.
This amp is probably a bit too large for these speakers at 200W, but I did get it very cheap on ebay! It has a gain control on it, which i could have hacked to build a volume control onto the front panel i decided to pre-set it and use the volume of the mp3 player to control the output volume.
Now, listen to some swing music though it to put yourself into the appropriate vintage mood while you design the stereo...
Take note! The top of my suitcase tapers in to make it close more easily, which caused a problem, so make sure you measure at top and bottom.
Now sketch out what you would like your stereo to look like. I spent a lot of time looking at photos of old art deco radios and art deco buildings to give me inspiration. St Mark's Methodist church in London had the look I wanted and also fit the space and materials I had.
You can see a few photos of my sketchbook. I sketched out some ideas of possible speaker shapes before i settled on the final design.
It can be a good idea to measure your speakers, amp and battery to make sure you will have enough space to fit them all in and to find if you cannot arrange them in a certain way. Luckily mine all fit together, but i did have to move the battery and amplifier on the base to allow the suitcase to close. Depth of the speakers is particularly important! If you have access to CAD software i.e. sketchup or autodesk, you could model the whole thing. I used several pieces of paper the same size as the various components to block out my design.
The amp and battery are mounted on a plate of 6mm plywood cut to fit the bottom of the suitcase in a very tight fir so i didn't need to glue it in or screw through the suitcase.
Remember to wear ear and eye protection, as you'll look a right knob if you've made yourself blind and half deaf through stupidity!
To get a really good fit for the gauge holes I left around 1-2mm of spare wood around the edge and then used very rough sand paper to fit the holes to each of the gauges, sanding a bit off, offering up the gauge and then sanding a bit more until i got a very close fit. The right hand gauge hole is such a good fit I didn't need any glue to hold it in place.
Stain the wood, if needed. It's best to do this before you glue the pieces together so that you get a nice even colour, even in any nooks and crannies in your design.
Make sure you test the wood stain on a bit of the wood that you can't see before you do the whole lot. The first stain was far too dark so I had to swap it for a lighter, redder colour to get the desired effect.
Now glue all the pieces together. I used Gorilla Glue, which is brilliantly solid, but does foam up as it dries, so any excess or overspill should be wiped off before it dries. Clamp the wood firmly in place for a nice solid bond.
I used about 10 layers of quick drying gloss varnish. It's a good idea to give the varnish a quick going over with some very fine wet and dry sandpaper, (around 1200 grit) between each coat to get a really nice shiny finish without any blemishes.
The holes for the gauges were cut very tight, and carefully sanded so that the gauges could be held in place with an interference fit and a bit of hot glue to keep them steady. This was to avoid having to damage the antique brass gauges. All the visible brass screws on the front are purely decorative.
The switch has a bolt on it to keep it in place.
The 3.5mm jack input to the stereo simply leads round the side of the front panel when it's in place.
Time to find new locales to swing at and ruffians to educate!