This design was inspired by @naildecor on Instagram, she made a similar look which I changed a bit and and made a tutorial for.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Materials
Here's what I used:
- Two colors of polish (Revlon 'Amber Ablaze' and L.A. Colors 'black nail decor' which comes with a thinner brush for fine lines) alternatively you could use a regular black polish but apply it with a thin brush.
- Glossy top coat
- Nail striping tape (you could switch this for painters tape)
- A toothpick
- Nail polish remover and q-tip for clean up
- Simply peel latex barrier (this is a peel off barrier for when you need to protect your skin or parts of a design from polish) (you can substitute this with Elmer's glue)
- Nail stamper and stamping plate with scraper. I used the BP-05 plate from BlissKiss but if you don't have a nail stamping set you could freehand a design with the polish. (Naildecor originally free handed the design this was inspired by)
Step 2: Paint Three of Your Nails a Solid Color
I applied two light coats with my Revlon Amber polish on the thumb, pinkie, and middle nail. I don't use a base coat but you certainly can if you have one.
Step 3: Divide the Ring Finger With Tape and Paint
Step 4: Paint Border Lines on the Ring and Pointer Fingers
For the ring finger, just use the black polish to make a stripe in the middle of the nail, covering the line of the previous polish, and make a border along the tip of the nail. For the pointer finger, I put a border around the whole perimeter of the nail. This can be tricky to apply when you get by the cuticle, so i suggest using a toothpick dipped in the black polish to cover the areas that are harder to reach. (Refer to the end pictures for an example of the pointer finger)
Step 5: Apply Simply Peel
If you don't have simply peel or another liquid latex barrier, I recommend using a weak glue that will peel off when dry (like Elmer's school glue). Tape could also be used to protect that half of the nail but I would be careful not to use one that's too strong.
Step 6: Stamping Time
To stamp, I applied polish over the area of the plate I wanted to apply and then used the scraper to take off the excess. Then I took my stamper and rolled it firmly across the design to pick it up. I stamped the pointer and ring finger with the stamper and let it dry.
Tip for people who use nail art stampers: never buy polish that is specifically for stamping. You can usually get away with using any normal nail polish so I wouldn't waste any money on those. :)
Step 7: Peel Off Simply Peel and Clean Up Edges
Step 8: Show Off Your New Nails!
If you need some jewelry to go with your new nails then check out my other instructables. :) If you have any questions feel free to ask and thank you for looking!