Step 1: Supplies
- 1 Pair scissors
- 1 Old t-shirt
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine or ( it can be hand sewn )
Step 2: Pattern
- Cut either the front or the back part of the t-shirt cutting off the sleeves and neck.
- Cut off the hem but reserve this piece for the loop to hang the potholder from.
Step 3: Folding the Shirt Fabric
- You may need to fold the fabric different ways to hide the holes or spots by folding them toward the inside.
- I did not want the design showing so I used the wrong side of the t-shirt.
- I folded one long edge towards the center.
- I folded the remaining side overlapping the long folded edge because I wanted my potholder a little larger than normal.
- It works best to fold it so there are no raw edges on the outside part but it is not necessary.
- You will just need to be more careful when you sew it around the outside edge so your stitches sew all the seams.
- After the long edges are folded, I folded the ends toward the center and . . .
- Then I folded it in half.
- I trimmed off the hem the size I wanted for a loop.
- Inserted it in the corner to be sewn.
Step 4: Sewing the Potholder
- I began at one end of the potholder but it is best to start in the center of one side.
- I stitched up to the loop and carefully stitched the seam where the loop was.
- Continued all the way around the potholder overlapping my first few stitches.
Step 5: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
Thank you for visiting and do have a "Happy Thanksgiving!"