Introduction: T-Shirt Twist Scarf
As a college student, people and companies always seem to be lining up to give me free t-shirts. As a result, I have way more than I could possibly wear! However, it turns out that there are a multitude of cool crafts that you can make by reusing fabric from unwanted shirts, so this is the beginning of my 6-part series about t-shirt repurposing!
Here is a pretty bi-colored scarf I made from 2 different colored t-shirts.
Step 1: You Will Need
- 2 different colored t-shirts (larger is preferable)
- sewing machine (if you want an infinity scarf)
Step 2: Cut Your Fabric
Cut off the bottom half of the t-shirts by cutting along the shirt, just underneath the end of the sleeves. This will give you a big "tube".
Step 3: Cut Along Seams
Take your large piece of "tube" shaped fabric and make it into a rectangle by making 1 cut along JUST 1 side seam of the t-shirt. Fold the rectangle lengthwise (not widthwise), to get a long, thin, piece of fabric.
Step 4: Make the Twist
When you've completed the previous steps for both t-shirts, you should have 2 long thin strips of fabric.
- Arrange the strips as 2 overlapping "U"-shapes
- Reach your hand over the top strip and under the bottom - through the "hole" created by the overlapping strips
- Grab the 2 end of the top strip and pull them through the whole that you just stuck your hand through
- Repeat the process 1 more time for a second twist (if you like, and if your fabric is long enough, you can even do 3!)
Step 5: Finishing Touches
Now that you have two twists in your fabric, you're almost done! Simply do some minor rearranging of the twists so that the colors are evenly spaced, and you like the look. If you want an infinity scarf, simply sew the two ends of the scarves together. Enjoy your beautiful, t-shirt twist scarf!