Introduction: TFIOS Nail Art
This simple nail art was inspired by one of my favorite books, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's extremely simple to do and doesn't require any special tools or equipment.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Gather Supplies
For this nail art you will need
- a toothpick
- a base and topcoat (I used Rimmel Base and Topcoat Pro)
- a dark blue polish (I used Libby by Julep)
- black acrylic paint
- white acrylic paint
I used a toothpick for this Instructible because I know that a lot of people don't own nail stripers or dotting tools but if you have those, feel free to use them instead.
You don't have to use a dark blue polish for the background, you could use whatever color you'd like, but I chose to use blue because it looks more like the cover of the book.
Yes, acrylic paints are perfectly safe to use as long as you have a layer of nail polish underneath. I like using acrylic paints because they dry much faster than nail polish, are easier to work with, are extremely opaque, wash off with water, and are extremely cheap (50 cents a bottle). If you don't have acrylic paints you can use black and white nail polish.
Step 2: Base Color
1. Start by trimming your nails, removing any other nail polish on the nail, filing, and whatever else is necessary to get your nails ready for polish.
2. Paint a layer of base coat and let dry for at least five minutes. I know lots of people that skip this step, but I highly recommend wearing basecoat because it will protect your nails from being stained, turning yellow, and becoming weak and prone to breakage.
3. Paint a layer of your blue polish and let dry. Depending on your polish you may need to use two coats to get the color fully opaque but I only needed one.
Tip: If you're have trouble painting designs on your nails, get a friend to help paint your non-dominant hand.
Step 3: Painting the Clouds
1. Dip your toothpick in black acrylic paint and draw a black cloud close to your cuticle. If you mess up, you can wash the cloud off with water and start again.
2. Using the other end of the toothpick, dip it in white acrylic paint and carefully write "okay" in the black cloud.
3. Do the exact same steps to paint another cloud under the black one that has a white background and "okay" is written in black. Let dry for at least 10 minutes.
4. Paint a layer of topcoat over all nails to seal the design and to make your manicure last longer.
Tip: I suggest practicing painting the clouds on a piece of paper to get the hang of it before trying to paint it on your nails.
Step 4: Flaunt Your Nails
Show your fun nails to all of your friends! If you enjoyed this Instructable please vote for me in the Paint Contest, it would mean the world to me!
Enjoy your fun nails,