Introduction: HOPPIN' JOHN
Monday, July 27, 2015
SERVINGS = 2 OR 3
- 1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 or 3 Cloves Garlic, crushed or sliced very thin (opti
- 1/2 Cup Smoked Ham, Fully Cooked, Uncured, Diced (not too small)
- 1 TBS EVOO or Coconut Oil
- 1 Can (15.8 oz) *Bush's Best Crowder Peas (NO SUBSTITUTES ALLOWED)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Dried Basil (or a handful of chopped fresh Basil Leaves)
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional) or 1/2 to 1 tsp Tabasco Sauce (also optional)
- S&P to taste
Step 1: DIRECTIONS
- Heat oil in a large, heavy, cast iron skillet
- sauté Onion over medium heat until softened a bit (about 4 minutes); then add chopped ham and continue to sauté until ham is heated through.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and red pepper flakes, spices, and the Crowder Peas with liquid.
- Cover Pan and cook for a few minutes; taste, the add S&P too taste.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until vegetables and peas are tender BUT NOT SOFT AND MUSHY!
- *I have specified that you only use canned BUSH'S Best Crowder Peas because they are much firmer than other brands of canned and frozen peas that I have tried. Although I love Black Eyed Peas the canned varieties that I have tried in this recipe were much too soft and mushy right out of the can. IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS THE EASY WAY, JUST BUY A COUPLE OF CANS OF BUSH'S BEST CROWDER PEAS AND FOLLOW THE RECIPE ON THE BACK OF THE CAN. However, I have added some spices and cook the dish slightly different and a little longer than recommended by Bush Beans. (Also, I have cut the can recipe in half, thus using only 1 can of peas).
- You may serve the Hoppin' John over Rice, but it tastes so good (to me) that I simply eat it out of aSoup bowl the 1st night; then I might cook up some rice (anything but plain white rice; try brown, red, black, or wild rice, or any combination thereof) and eat it with some leftover Hoppin' John for lunch or dinner another day!!!
Step 2: NUTRITION
I have estimated the nutritional value of this recipe using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer (Click to enlarge the photo)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.