Introduction: TRX Clone From 4mm Cord and Broom Handle
But a genuine TRX costs about $250 :(
For the rest of us, there is DIY :)
There are a number of TRX clone instructables out there, but mine is the best one. I mean, this one can be assembled the quickest, and it is one of the cheapest: 20 minutes and $10
But if you wanted to see those other ones anyway, here are some links:
- This guy hangs some straps from a beam in the ceiling. Clever, and good rings, but not as universal as the TRX https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Gymnastic-Rings/
- This instructable mentions some nice knots, and the same book I got my ideas from, Ashley's, but the instructions for the actual TRX seem to be missing https://www.instructables.com/id/TRX-from-Parachord-Challenge-Accepted/
- I don't think this guy's setup is safe (ie the beaners at 250lbs), and that bungee thing costs money. https://www.instructables.com/id/TRX-Suspension-System-for-Less-Than-25-Bucks/
- This guy uses chains instead of straps. Too industrial for me, and the weight of them will get annoying. I also don't see how to adjust it quickly, which is key. https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Chains-Suspension-Exercise-Device/
- These ones all use straps and hardware. This costs money and it is not necessary. Climbing rope is fine. https://www.instructables.com/id/Suspension-Training-System-TRX-Clone-Yes-anoth/ https://www.instructables.com/id/Adjustable-TRX-style-Suspension-Work-Out-System-/ https://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Suspension-Device-for-1256/ https://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-TRX-bodyweight-suspended-training-syste/
Here is the Disclaimer: Small errors on your part may cause the knots in your contraption to fail. I have done my best to explain them, but if you hurt yourself with your homemade TRX, I am not liable for damages, even if you think you followed my instructions perfectly. By following these instructions, you agree to take full responsibility for the consequences of building this contraption.
Let's get started!
Step 1: Materials
- 10m of 4mm climbing accessory cord ($8), with a synthetic core.
- 2 pieces of broom handle or dowel for the hand holds
- (optional) 1 stainless steel ring, chain link, or climbing carabiner
Optionally, file a grove around each end of the handles. I think the constrictor knot that we use later works best if the grove is all the way around, and not just a dent in one side.
The ring reduces wear on the rope, but it is not necessary if you just want to try this out.
Step 2: Constricter Knot the Handles
Use the 2.1m rope for this step.
The Constrictor Knot is very easy to tie (for other instructions go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrictor_knot).
I did not check what happens if you don't do this, but I recommend you tie the two Constrictor knots in opposite directions. i.e. one starts as a normal "S" and the other starts as a backwards "S". if you do this right, the two constrictor knots will mirror each other.
Look at the pictures!
Step 3: Finish the Handle With a Bowline!
The Bowline is the most important knot anyone can know. Do it exactly as shown. (more on the bowline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowline)
You can hang a truck off a bowline, and then untie the knot with your hands afterwards (provided the rope does not break!).
Adjust everything so it's nice and even, and you have about 6-10cm of rope protruding from your bowline.
You are done with the first handle! Repeat this for the 4.3m rope.
Step 4: Assembly
If you are using the optional ring, pass the longer rope through it twice, and bring the ring near to the handle, as shown.
Use a Sheet Bend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheet_bend) to create the main adjustment of your TRX. DO IT EXACTLY AS SHOWN AND GET TO KNOW THIS KNOT. (guess what, it's pretty much the same as the Bowline)
The shorter, 2.1m rope makes the loop of the sheet bend, while the longer, 4.3m rope makes the "U" turn. Leave about 6-10cm of the shorter rope, protruding from the loop.
Step 5: Hang It Up and Test It!
I made a short video to demonstrate that it works, but youtube TRX (click), and you will get loads of stuff. I will show some of the exercises from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmhI_8wlm8I
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.