- Mar 05, 2013 Featured on WonderHowTo http://goo.gl/fpeVC
- Feb 14, 2013 Featured on LifeHacker http://goo.gl/tx4QG
- Feb 13, 2013 I have updated the Arduino program in step 4 to support additional remote controls.
- Feb 13, 2013 Featured on Dangerous Prototypes http://goo.gl/DJcwe
- Feb 12, 2013 Featured on Semageek http://goo.gl/EH58K
- Feb 12, 2013 Featured on Embedds http://goo.gl/Z3egm
- Feb 12, 2013 Featured on Hackaday http://goo.gl/8MkuE
What can be more annoying than those TV commercials on steroid? Here you are watching your favorite TV show when all of a sudden you are ambushed by a very loud TV commercial sending you scrambling for the remote control to turn down the volume.
In some countries it's now illegal for broadcasters to blast the volume during commercials. But in many others, this TV audio terror is still legal. I hope my TV Volume Loudness Guard will mitigate some of this ad-driven rudeness.
The TV Volume Loudness Guard will listen to your TV and if the volume goes higher than a certain level, it will bring it lower.
There are many uses for this gadget such as keeping the TV volume down when you are in a different room while the kids are watching their favorite music channels. Or when someone blasts the stereo system. The TV Loudness Guard will be ready to keep a lid on it. The TV Loudness Guard should be part of every Big Brother's bag of tricks :)
HOW THIS GADGET WORKS
Place the Arduino TV Volume Loudness Guard close to the TV set to monitor the volume. When the volume loudness of your TV exceeds a certain threshold (set by you in the program or via a trimpot), the gadget sends a Volume Down remote control code to your TV--or any other remote controlled gadget for that matter--until the TV volume falls below the pre-set level. This level can be changed in the program you upload to Arduino or with a potentiometer built into the sound sensor I am using in this project.
There are three steps to make use of the TV Volume Loudness Guard:
- Capture & decode your remote control Volume Down button (or any other remote function). This feature is included in my gadget.
- Update the TV Loudness Guard program with the remote control button code captured from step 1 and upload the program to your Arduino.
- Power the TV Loudness Guard and place it next to your TV. Fine-tune the parameters of the Arduino program and the sound sensor's potentiometer until you get the desired results.