Make sure that you make all of the noodles a consistent size (thin is better). The dough is a simple recipe that tastes pretty good. I absolutely love the pork sauce, the Chinese Five Spice absolutely makes this dish! If you have never had Chinese Five Spice you are missing it, it’s an amazing little jar of spice!
3 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon water
1. Stir together the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Make a well, add the water in the center and slowly mix in the flour. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes (until smooth). Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour.
2. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, cover in plastic wrap and let it sit again for 15 minutes.
3. Roll the dough 1/5 inch thick. Make 3 folds and sprinkle flour on each fold to the layers don’t stick.
4. Slice the dough into small strips, then lay on a plate.
5. Boil a pot of water and let the noodles cook until cook through (they should be a tad chewy).
1 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons dark soy sauce (or oyster sauce)
4 teaspoon light (regular) soy sauce
2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (or Chinese black vinegar or young balsamic vinegar if you can find it)
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 onion, chopped
1 pound ground pork
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
several large handfuls fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1. Mix together the chicken broth, dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, vinegar, five spice powder and brown sugar and set aside.
2. Heat a wok over medium-high heat. When it’s hot cook the ground pork until it’s mostly brown but still pink – drain and set aside.
3. Add in the onion to the hot wok and cook for 1 minute. Push the onion to one side of the wok and fry the garlic for about 30 seconds. Stir in the almost cooked ground pork and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and mix everything together.
4. Pour in the broth/soy sauce mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the green onions. Serve over your homemade noodles.