About Project Aether
What we do:
Who we are:
The most important Project Aether participants, of course, are the high school and college students.
Step 1: Materials
once again this is pulled from the website
Fly-it-yourself HD High Altitude Balloon Package*
ncludes all hardware required to take 1080p HD video for 2.1 hrs from the edge of space.* You supply the helium. Also has the ability to capture 5MP still images every 2-60 seconds for 4 hrs when operated in photo mode. No tools required for assembly, assembles in 20 minutes. Ships in 10 business days. Free shipping within the U.S., please inquire about international shipping. Can launch 3 times with 3 included balloons.
The images on this website were taken using this kit + the 10 W APRS Radio GPS unit.
- SPOT GPS tracking device** w/ Li batteries
- GoPro 1080p HD waterproof camera, Li battery, vacuum rated housing and mounting bracket
- 16 GB SD card
- 3x 600g weather balloons (enough for 3 launches)
- 36" neon parachute
- 36" passively stabilized pultruded carbon fiber payload structure w/ built-in radar reflector
- 300 ft of polyester string and winding spool for easy deployment
- Carabineer connections for easy field assembly
- Gas cylinder brass fitting and balloon fill tube
- Black latex gloves for handeling balloon
- Waterproof recovery note (i.e. If found, countact_____)
- Waterproof launch checklist
- Step-by-step assembly instructions.
- Step-by-step launch instructions.
- U.S. FAA instructions.
* requires 50 to 150 cuft of helium at atmospheric pressure (roughly 1/3 to 1 full K-sized helium bottle), depending on balloon size. This can be purchased at Party City, Air Liquide, Praxair, etc. This usually costs $100 to $150 per bottle.
** requires $99/year service + $50/year tracking service contract through SPOT GPS.
Step 2: Space Launch
here is a video from launch to space