I made these with pork chirizo this time, but I think I will try a vegetarian variation, or do a playful spin on the chile rellanos and see how that goes! Have fun, and experiment with different fillings! The masa feels like Play-dough in your hands, so it's really easy to mold. A great little project to do with the kids; they'll love molding the masa!
- 4 cups of prepared masa (may use masa flour, and prepare as directed on package)
- 1/2 pound of pork chirizo (or, beef)
- 1 cup of Mexican crema (may substitute Philadelphia cooking cream)
- 1 cup of Mexican cheese blend (shredded)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- You favorite salsa verde, or green chili for dipping
Cast Iron Cornbread Wedge Skillet
Also, pork chirizo goes quite nicely with this recipe, so you may choose to fill with just crema, or cheese and perhaps some chopped roasted jalapenos? That sounds great, actually!!