- It is fantastic as a topping for baked brie or with a tray of cheeses.
- It also goes well as a relish for meats such as chicken or pork.
- When I go visiting I often bring a jar as a gift for my Host or hostess.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 pound tomatoes, firm & ripe
- 1 cup malt or Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3" cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tblsp molasses
- 2 tblsp ginger root
- 1 tblsp garlic
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 fresh red or green chili pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2-4 tblsp mustard or vegetable oil (if you can get Mustard oil, use that)
- 2 tblsp mustard seeds
- 2-3 qt heavy pot
- Boiling water bath
Step 2: Prepare the Tomatoes
- Wash, core and chop the Tomatoes.
Step 3: Prepare the Onion
Step 4: Preparing the Seasoning
- chop ginger, garlic, & chili peppers This can all be done together in a food processor.
Step 5: Into the Pot With You
- Add your tomatoes and onions to the pot
- Add the Vinegar, salt, and cinnamon stick
- Stirring constantly bring to a boil over moderate heat.
Step 6: Add the Sugar
- Stir in the brown sugar and molasses
- continue boiling over moderate heat for about 10-15 minutes stirring frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. The mix will darken a little and begin to thicken
Step 7: Now for Those Seasonings You Set Aside Earlier
- Add the mix of garlic ginger & peppers along with the chopped cilantro & whole cloves to the pot while stirring.
Step 8: Cook Down the Liquid
Step 9: Prepare the Mustard Seed
- Heat the mustard/vegetable oil in a small skillet over moderate to high flame until it begins to smoke
- Add mustard seeds to the oil and heat until they begin to sputter
Step 10: Final Step
- Add the hot oil and Mustard seeds to the tomato mixture. This will splatter some so be careful if the pot is not deep
- Stirring frequently, boil briskly for 8-10 min or more until the chutney has thickened to the consistency desired. I tend to like it to be the consistency of thick jam or relish once cooled down.
Step 11: Canning
- Pour into prepared canning jars to within 1/8" of the top.
- cover and process 10 min in boiling water bath.
- Take out of bath and allow to cool