Introduction: Tandoori Chicken in the Oven With Coriander Yogurt Dip
Tandoori chicken is a popular Indian dish, consisting of roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices. The name comes from the type of cylindrical clay oven, a tandoor, in which the dish is traditionally prepared. (Thanks to Wikipedia).
In this Instructable, I would like to show an easy and simple method of preparing tandoori chicken in the oven. Tandoori chicken is an easy and tasty dish, that can be prepared and served with coriander dip for parties and get together.
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Chicken drumsticks - 5 (Preferred skinless)
2) Plain Yogurt - 5 Tbsp
3) Crushed Ginger and Garlic - (from 1" ginger and 2 pods garlic )
4) Chilli Powder - 1 Tsp
5) Ground Cumin - 1 Tsp
6) Ground Coriander - 1 Tsp
7) Garam Masala powder - 1/2 Tsp
8) Salt and Pepper as per taste
9) Red food color - few drops
10) Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
11) Unsalted Butter - 1 Tbsp
Coriander Yogurt Dip
1) Coriander - 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
2) Yogurt - 2 Tbsp
3) Sour cream - 1 Tbsp
4) Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp
5) Lemon Juice - 5 ml
6) Salt as per taste
Step 2: Marinate Chicken - Part 1
1) Wash and pat dry the chicken drumsticks with the kitchen towel.
2) Make small slits on the chicken drumsticks using a knife.(Not very deep)
3) Mix the Lemon juice with 1/2 tsp chilli powder and salt.
4) Apply the above mixture all over the chicken and inside the slits.
5) Allow it to rest for 5 - 10 min
Step 3: Marinate Chicken - Part 2
1) In a bowl, add 5 tbsp of yogurt (1 Tbsp for 1 chicken drumstick), crushed ginger garlic, chilli powder, ground cumin, ground coriander seed, garam masala, salt, pepper and mix it well.
2) Add few drops of Red food color and mix well.
3) Marinate the chicken in the above yogurt mixture.
4) Cover the marinated chicken and allow it to rest in the refrigerator overnight or for an hour (minimum).
Step 4: Cooking the Chicken
1) Preheat the oven to 350 F
2) Place the chicken drumsticks on the griddle giving enough space between each of them.
3) Cook it at 350 F for about 55 - 60 min, flipping it over half way through.(so cooks on both sides)
4) when the chicken is done almost, brush the chicken drumsticks with melted butter on both sides.
Note: Cooking time depends on the size and weight of the chicken pieces used. Using a skewer, poke the chicken to check if it is cooked.
5) After switching off the oven allow it rest for some more time (10 - 15 min) before serving.
Step 5: Coriander Yogurt Dip
In a blender, add in the finely chopped coriander leaves, yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and blend it well till it becomes a paste. (Add ground pepper corns if you need it to be spicy)
Step 6: Serve the Tandoori Chicken
1) Remove the chicken drumsticks from the oven and wrap the bottom with a foil strip (For easy handling)
2) Serve the Chicken with the coriander dip.
Lemon wedges, tomato slices, onion slices, celery stalk or any other sides of your choice and Enjoy !!!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.