Introduction: Tandoori Chicken in a Pan
PLEASE do VOTE If you like the recipe (Voting button is on top right corner).
Tandoori Chicken brief introduction (Courtesy: Wikipedia)
Tandoori chicken is chicken prepared as food by roasting, yoghurt and spice marinated chicken, in a tandoor, a cylindrical clay oven. It is a popular dish originating from the Indian subcontinent. It is popular in India and Pakistan and has become popular in other parts of the world through restaurants serving food from the subcontinent.
Tandoori chicken was invented by Kundan Lal Gujral, a Punjabi Hindu, who is the founder of the Moti Mahal Delux restaurant. Gujral founded the restaurant in the Peshawar area of pre-partition India, which is now in Pakistan.
In the United States, tandoori chicken began appearing on menus by the 1960s. Jacqueline Kennedy was reported to have eaten "chicken tandoori" on a flight from Rome to Bombay in 1962. A recipe for tandoori chicken was printed in the Los Angeles Times in 1963, for "the hostess in search of a fresh idea for a party dinner"; a similar recipe was featured in the same newspaper in 1964, along with other chicken dishes from world cuisines.
Step 1: Marination I and II
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Add 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder
- Add salt as per your taste. Add 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- Mix it well and leave it to marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of curd.Add little more salt.Add 1/2 tbsp of Red chilli powder.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of turmeric powder, and garam masala powder.Add one tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- Add little oil.Mix it and leave it to marinate for 20 minutes.
Step 2: Cooking
- Add one tbsp of edible oil in a pan.Add one small cube of butter or tbsp of ghee (clarified butter).
- Let it heat.Place the chicken pieces in pan.And add the remaining marinade.
- Cook for few minutes on low flame.Around 8-10 minutes.
- Now flip the sides of the chicken pieces.
- Leave it further for 8-10 minutes on low Now again flip the sides.
- Cover the pan and leave it for 6-8 minutes on low flame.
- Keep checking that it is not sticking to the base.
- Now open the cover and check if pieces are tender enough as per your requirement.
- If pieces are tender enough then let it again cook for 5 minutes in open on low flame.
- Keep changing the sides to make sure all sides and whole chicken pieces are cooked well.
- If pieces are not tender then add very little water (JUST enough to generate steam) and cover the pan for 5 mins.
- Repeat the process till the pieces are not tender.
- Every Time make sure it is not sticking to the base.
- Open the Cover and check if pieces are tender enough.
- If pieces are tender enough then let it again cook in open for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Make sure all sides are property cooked.
- Now transfer chicken pieces to serving plate Garnish it with sliced onions, tomato and vertically cut green chilli.
For easy Video, Audio and written instruction please watch the below video,