Tapioca, also known to many of us as Cassava plant roots, is grown in many parts of South India and used as one of the staple food.
This simple step-by-step instructions will guide you to make very tasty, deep fried Tapioca chips.
Step 1: Things You Need
- About one kilogram of Tapioca
- About half a liter of any cooking oil. Here I have used unrefined coconut oil
- A clean cloth spread over a metal plate or any such material
- Hand slicer to slice the tapioca
- Salt + Red chilly powder Mix. This is optional
Other items like deep frying pan, strainer et cetera are normally available in every household, so I have not added them here.
Step 2: Make Tapioca Slices
- Soak the tapioca roots in water for about two to three hours. This will make the roots softer.
- Peel off the skin using a kitchen knife
- Make thin slices of about one mm thick using the hand slicer over the clean cloth.
- Spread the slices over the cloth and allow them to air-dry for about an hour. The cloth will also absorb most of the moisture from the slices
Step 3: Deep Fry the Slices
- Heat oil in a frying pan
- Add slices one by one in the hot oil.
- You can deep fry the slices in several batches if the quantity is more.
- When the slices turn golden brown and crispy, remove from oil
- Allow the excess oil from drain down
This is optional, but increases the taste. Sprinkle the salt + red chilly powder mix over the deep fried chips and mix well. You can add it as per your own taste. If you do not like the hot chilly powder you can sprinkle some salt over it.
Serve as an evening snack with hot coffee.