Introduction: Tardis Cabinet
I'm TARDIS obsessed, so I wanted to make my own time machine. Sadly though, I can't find an instructable on how to make it bigger on the inside yet. I didn't really follow a pattern other than I had a desktop wallpaper, a bunch of scrap plywood, and some free time. This project was a first in that most components were glued on. The majority of my builds have haphazardly placed screws and hardware. This was a challenge in trying to figure out how to get things to stay put while the glue dried. First thing to tackle were the distinctive front doors. I started out with several 2X4 sheets of plywood I got for a dollar at the local Restore. I ripped a bunch of 1 inch strips and used wood glue to attach the to the door panels.
Step 1: It's Finally Looking Like a Police Box
I used european hidden hinges to attach the doors to the sides. The TARDIS is going to double as a dvd cabinet so I can be entertained while traveling through time and space. A lot more gluing and clamping, this time on trim pieces to hide some of the plywoodiness. All the gluing really slowed down the process, but turned out to be worth it in that other than door handles, no hardware shows from the outside. The top and lightbox are added and glued on. While I waited for the glue to dry, I contemplated options for the top light. I found some small solar landscape lights that would have worked-if I wanted the saddest light ever.
Step 2: Ugh... I Hate This Paint!
I was having trouble picking out the right TARDIS blue, and thought I has lucked out with a premixed Rustoleum Latex indoor/outdoor. The stuff was a nightmare to paint with though. I'm not used to glossy paint, and even after primer, the first few coats went on smeary and blotchy. Many new and colorful words were used that day. The Police Box sign was made from a piece of Lexan I retrieved from a trash bin at work. It's been waiting for a creative use for about 4 years out in my garage-I felt completely vindicated when I remembered it. I purchased some vinyl letters and painstakingly spelled out the magical words, then spraypainted the lexan black. A few coats later, I peeled off the letters and Bob's your uncle! I had a remote control battery operated set of LED lights that fit perfectly behind the sign.
The picture is unbelievably crappy, but the TARDIS turned out pretty cool. The windows were more pilfered lexan covered with frosty paint. I'm going to remove the white sign and reglue it. I used regular copier paper and the Modge Podge I used to glue it on to the panel kinda distorted and wrinkled it. The light on top was made out of a square jelly jar. (Clever!) I drilled the hole for the cord through the top, and in the jelly jar lid. I used JB weld to glue the jar lid to the glossy paint. A couple coats of frost paint to the jam jar, and a blue nightlight bulb completes the effect. I hope to someday figure out how to make the light pulse and add the sound effects. The cabinet itself (sans light) stands just over three feet tall, and is 16 inches wide. There are 3 shelves on the inside to hold the stuff I need for travel. I just hope the angels can't get in.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.