Introduction: Tartiflette: the Recipe
For this cheese challenge 2016, I will makemy favorite dish: a tartiflette.
Tartiflette is a dish Cheese based, inexpensive and really delicious.
There are several variants, with or without wine, with bacon or smoked bacon, but the cheese does not change, it is always Reblochon.
It is rather a winter meal, but I personally eat it all year.
This dish is magic, long live cheese!
Step 1: Ingredients and Cooking Tools Needed
- reblochon cheese (1Kg)
- Potatoes (2Kg) (tip: To know the amount of potato needed, fill your dish with potatos as in the photo)
- Lardons (200g)
- 4 Onions
- clotted cream (50cl or 500g)
- mustard (1 teaspoon)
- Butter 50g
- olive oil (1 teaspoon)
- salt and pepper
- a pressure cooker (or a large saucepan)
- a knife
- a frying pan with lid
- a dish (terracotta if you have one)
- A big spoon
Step 2: Preparing Potatoes
- To start, cook the potatoes in the water.
They must be cooked but remain firm.
- peel potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into thick slices, otherwise they will be crushed at the end.
Step 3: Prepare the Garnish
- Mince the onions
- Melt the butter in the frying pan with a few drops of olive oil to prevent the butter from burning.
- Make sweat the onion in the pan with the lid
- Remove the lid and add lardons
- Brown the onion sliced with lardons.
- When the onions and bacon are cooked, add the white wine and leave to reduce by half. (optional)
- Mix a tablespoon of mustard with the fresh cream
- Add the mixture fresh cream - mustard to onions and lardons
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring until the mixture is a beautiful golden brown color.
Step 4: Prepare the Cheese
- Gently remove the skin from the cheese, in 3 pieces: top, bottom and turns.
- Cut the cheese in half in the direction of thickness.
Step 5: Assemble the Tartiflette
- Cover the bottom of the dish with a layer of potato slices.
- Cover the potatoes with half the garnish
- Cover the garnish with half the cheese
- Cover the cheese with the remaining potatoes
- Cover the potatoes with the remaining garnish
- Cover the garnish with the remaining cheese
- Cover the dish with the skin of the cheese, one should see more than the skin.
- Put in the oven until the cheese skin is golden brown.
Step 6: Tasting
The tartiflette is ready to be tasted.
You can accompany it with green salad, and if you are of age, with a dry white wine.
Small tip: the tartiflette is even better reheat, prepare it the day before or keep in for the next day you will see the difference.