Introduction: Tasty & Easy Veggie Burger - High Protein
This easy & tasty veggie burger contains almost 20 g of complete protein and it is super satisfying and filling due to its high fiber content. Each patty is very large and can be eaten on its own without anything else. You can also make this into 8 smaller patties as well especially for a bbq outdoor party.
A typical black bean burger contains at most 15 g of protein and beans are not complete protein source. This veggie burger uses quinoa and edamame as the main ingredients to provide a higher, complete protein content. You can get tricolor quinoa in bulk sections for a much cheaper price as compared to pre packaged quinoa in the health sections of the store and you can also get edamame in frozen aisles for a relatively inexpensive price.
Calorie and Macro Information (per burger patty, 4 patties total) :
289 calories, 8.7 F, 33.6 C 10.4 F 6.4 sugar, 18.2 P
hot water 160 g tricolor quinoa 400 g thawed edamame shelled 1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp water 1/2 tsp of sesame oil Seasoning (salt, pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder)
1. Cook tricolor quinoa on the stove (takes about 15 min) and let it sit.
2. While quinoa is cooking and resting, pour hot water into thawed edamame and microwave on high for 5 min.
3. Drain the edamame, pour into a big bowl, add in salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. Use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the edamame into a paste.
3. After quinoa is cooked and rested for 5 min, pour them into the edamame mixture and mix very well with a large spoon.
4. Season again with salt, pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder. Mix well.
5. Make your flax seed egg as a binder (mix 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 3 tbsp water). Pour into the edamame quinoa mixture. Mix thoroughly.
6. Divide the quinoa edamame mixture into 4 equal portions and form each portion into a ball first then form into a patty shape. Each patty is very large so you can also make into 8 smaller patties.
7. You can cook them on the grill, in the oven, or on the stove. To cook on the stove, simply put 1/2 tsp of sesame oil onto a paper towel and wipe a cooking pan with the sesame oil. Cook the burger patties on each side at medium high heat for 4 to 5 min or until browned on each side.
For cooking on the grill: grill each side for 2 to 3 min or until browned.
For baking in the oven: Heat the oven to 350 ˚F and bake on one side for 20 min and flip bake for additional 15 min.
You can serve the burger patties right away with some roasted cabbage and mushrooms as the burger buns along with some roasted carrot/zucchini/potato chips.
You can also divide them into 4 to 8 portions along with the veggie patties and chips for mealprep. It is a good idea to use veggie patties because bread patties tend to get soggy for mealprep and reheating.
Portobello mushroom buns:
Take the stems off the mushroom, wipe them with paper towels, season with salt, pepper, and a spray of olive oil. Bake at 375˚F for 15 min.
Roasted cabbage buns:
Cut the cabbages into 1-1.5 inch slices with the stems on so the cabbage leaves stay intact. Season each side with salt and pepper. Drizzle each side with sprays of olive oil or sesame oil. Bake at 375˚F for 20 min or until browned.
Roasted potato/carrot/zucchini chips:
Slice the potatoes/carrots/zucchini into 1 to 1.5 inch slices (you can use a food processor, mandolin or great knife skills). Lay them in single layers, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 375˚F for 30 min.
If you serve them right away, you can also just use regular buns or any other sides you prefer. Veggies buns are preferred because the burger itself already contains enough carbs for a balanced complete meal.
Hope you guys enjoy this recipe and for more vegan/vegetarian recipes,
Healthy Vegan Recipes, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eJCT09zn...
Healthy Vegetarian Recipes, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5eJCT09zn...
For more meal prep friendly recipes,
Check out my other healthy recipe and fun workout videos here:
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.