Introduction: Tasty Quick & Easy Thai Basil Chicken Recipe
Thai Basil chicken (PAD KRAPOW GAI) is one of the most popular Thai street foods. This dish is actually quite quick, easy, & macro friendly. It is also a great mealprep option although traditionally this dish is served as a single portion.
You can also substitute the chicken in this recipe with beef, pork, shrimp, tofu, or any other proteins of your choice. Another thing to notice is that there are three types of Thai basil in cooking: Thai sweet basil a.k.a Thai basil, lemon basil, and holy basil. You want to use holy basil in this recipe to really appreciate the taste of Thai basil chicken. Unfortunately it can be really difficult to find holy basil outside of Thailand, so regular basil or Thai sweet basil can be substituted. It won't be as good but is still delicious. Finally, traditionally this dish is served with jasmine rice and one fried egg.
Calorie and Macro per serving (4 servings total, excluding the eggs and rice):
285 calories, 9F, 3C, 1 sugar, 46 P
800 g chicken breast 1 tbsp Vegetable oil 5 minced garlic 5 thai chili red pepper sliced 50 g fresh basil leaves (ideally thai holy basil) 1 tbsp light soy sauce 1 splash of dark soy sauce 1 tbsp oyster sauce a few drops of liquid stevia/sugar
To save money you can use chicken thigh meat, frozen chicken breast, or cheaper protein option such as tofu.
You don't have to use 50 g of basil and you can easily cut down to 25 g or a few handful of fresh basil especially if you can find holy basil.
1. Use a spoon or a mortar to crush the garlic and chili pepper to release the flavors.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok at medium high heat and pour in the garlic and chili powder. Stir fry for 20 to 30 sec or until browned not burned.
3. Pour in the chicken and cook until browned. About 2 to 3 min. If it is too dry you can add in some water.
4. Once the chicken is browned, add in light soy sauce, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, and stevia. Mix well for about 30 sec.
5. Finally pour in the basil leaves and turn off the heat right away. Mix the basil leaves into the chicken.
You can serve it right away with freshly cooked jasmine rice and one fried egg.
You can also store them in containers with jasmine rice for mealprep. It stays well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Hopefully you enjoy this recipe!
For more meal prep friendly recipes,
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.