Introduction: Tasty South African Dish: Bobotie
Bobotie is a popular South African dish and it is basically a fruit and meat casserole with custard (milk and egg). A lot of spices and natural ingredients are used for this dish and it is delicious and relatively healthy. This recipe trims down some fat and carb calories from this traditional dish but still preserves the ethnic flavor. The whole recipe makes 4 servings and is great for mealprep to change up your meal plan.
Calorie and macro information per serving (4 servings total and exclude the watermelon): 339 calories, 13F, 33C, 6 fiber, 30P
Ingredients: 1 tsp salted butter 1 chopped onion 4 minced garlic 1 tbsp curry powder 1 tsp turmeric powder 28 g (1 oz) raw crushed walnuts 400 g ground lean turkey (traditionally lamb or beef is used) Juice from 1 lemon (some zest from the lemon as well) Sea salt and black pepper 1 and 1/4 cup skim milk (cream or full milk is used traditionally) 2 eggs and 1 egg white (whole eggs are used traditionally) 40 g raisins (more dry fruits are used such as prunes, apricots traditionally) 30 g rolled oats (dry bread crumb is used traditionally) 1 small sour green apple chopped 3 bay leaves (you can use more for more flavors or lemon rinds)
Instructions: Preheat the oven to 375˚F (180˚C)
1. Evenly coat a frying pan with butter and sauté onion and garlic for 1 min.
2. Add in curry power, turmeric, and walnuts. Toast the walnuts for 1 min.
3. Add in ground turkey, lemon juice/zest, 1/4 cup skim milk, salt, and pepper. Cook until turkey is browned.
4. Add apple, raisins, oats, and 1 egg. Turn off the stove and mix everything very well.
5. Line a baking pan with Al foil and pour the casserole mixture into one even layer. Bury the bay leaves into the casserole mixture in even intervals. Cover the casserole with Al foil and bake for 30 min.
6. While the casserole is baking, make the "custard" topping. Mix 1 cup skim milk with 1 egg and 1 egg white. Season with some sea salt and mix very well. Set aside.
7. After 30 min, remove the Al foil and pour the topping evenly onto the casserole. Leave the casserole uncovered and bake for another 10 min.
8. Let the casserole rest for 10 to 15 min. You can divide it into 4 servings for mealprep or you can serve it fresh with some watermelon or a side salad.
Hopefully you find this recipe helpful and definitely give it a try. For more tasty lunch or dinner recipes below:
Check out my other health/fitness/recipe videos here: https://www.youtube.com/c/getfitwithmindynow
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.