Introduction: How to Make Turkey Enchilada Bowl
In this instructable I will show you how to make a tasty turkey enchilada bowl. In a previous instructable I showed you how to make a delicious vegan enchilada sauce. Today we are making a tasty turkey enchilada bowl in which we use this vegan enchilada sauce. No tortillas in this dish but with this combination you will not miss them at all. The turkey will be cooked in the enchilada sauce until it is soft, tender and infused with the flavors of the sauce. Add some delicious vegetables and rice and you get a tasty turkey enchilada bowl.
You only need a few ingredients for this dish. I use a small Turkey breast but you can choose a large chicken breast as well. If you are vegan or vegetarian skip the meat and substitute for tempeh or soya or a vegetable like carrots. Let these simmer in the sauce.
For the vegetables I used green beans, mushrooms and bell peppers. The enchilada sauce is the hero of this dish and is made with: vegetable oil, flour, Chili powder, cumin, paprika powder, garlic powder and Tomato sauce.
Once you have the sauce you let the turkey breast simmer in the sauce in a Dutch oven with the lid closed for at least 25 minutes. As you do not want the sauce to evaporate check after 10 minutes and add water if necessary. Make sure the turkey breast is covered with sauce. Turn the turkey breast at this point as well to keep it moist.
As soon as you cook the turkey breast you can start cooking the rice as well. Cook the basmati rice in 15 to 20 minutes, so you get perfect dry rice grain. Then cook the green beans in boiling water. Pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms in sunflower oil in 5 minutes. You are ready to plate the tasty turkey enchilada bowl. Start with the rice, slice the turkey in small slices and add it to one side of the bowl. Then arrange the green beans on the other side and top the mushrooms and bell peppers in the middle. Drizzle the enchilada sauce over the turkey and you are ready to serve.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the the turkey enchilada bowl? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
- 3 cups of vegan enchilada sauce. You can use store bought enchilada sauce or make the enchilada sauce by following my previous instructable.
- 1 cup of water (only add if sauce evaporates).
- 1 turkey or chicken breast (100 grams per person).
- 1 cup of basmati rice.
- 200 grams of green beans.
- ½ bell pepper.
- 200 grams of mushrooms.
- 4 tablespoons of sunflower oil to pan fry the bell peppers and mushrooms.
Step 3: Instructions
- Make the vegan enchilada sauce as described in my previous instructable.
- Warm the sauce and add the turkey. Close the lid and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Turn the turkey after 10 minutes and add water if needed (turkey should be mostly be in the sauce).
- Cook the basmati rice in a rice cooker or in a pan.
- Clean the green beans.
- Boil water and cook the green beans in the boiling water for 10 minutes until soft.
- Put 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a small skillet. Pan fry the bell peppers until soft. Store the bell peppers until ready to plate the bowl.
- Put the other 2 tablespoons of sunflower in the small skillet. Pan fry the mushrooms and put aside until ready to plate the bowl.
- Take the turkey out of the pan and keep the sauce. Slice the turkey breast in small slices.
- Put half of the rice in a bowl. Add the turkey to one side of the bowl and the green beans to the other side of the bowl.
- Stack the bell peppers and mushrooms in the middle of the bowl.
- Lastly drizzle sauce over the turkey and serve immediatly.
Step 4: Notes
This dish can be prepared one day in advance. The flavors of the sauce will have infused the turkey even more after a day. Store over night in the fridge. What are your favorite vegetables to include in your enchilada bowl?
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.