Introduction: Tasty Upma (Spicy Semolina)
Everybody loves Upma, either eaten as breakfast or lunch this spicy meal is always a favorite.
Upma is made from roasted semolina and vegetables. Providing a lot nutritional benefits this dish is a perfect breakfast, plus it is also easy to make, taking only 10 mins of your time.
Lets make some Upma!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 2 cups Semolina
- 2 Onions
- 3 Tomatoes
- 3 cups Water
- Red chili powder
- 3 Green chillies
- Curry leaves
- Ginger garlic paste
- Fresh coriander leaves
Step 2: Roasting
- Roast the semolina at low flame on a non stick pan.
- After the semolina has turned brown, add 3 tbsp of oil and mix.
- Dice the tomatoes, onions and keep aside.
- Finely chop the green chillies. If you don't like your food spicy, then slit the green chili just to add flavor.
Step 3: Cooking the Masala
- In a hot pan add olive oil and let it heat up.
- To the hot oil add a tbsp of mustard seeds and let it splatter.
- Add onions and curry leaves and sauté till it becomes pinkish in color.
- Next add ginger garlic paste ad sauté.
- Add green chillies and allow the ingredients to turn golden brown.
Step 4: Adding the Spices
- Add 1 tbsp chili powder.
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder, salt to taste.
- you can also add garam masala.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add chopped vegetables and stir in the masala for a while and allow this masala to cook for 5 mins.
- Next add water and add the gravy to come to a boil.
Step 5: Adding Semolina
- After the gravy begins to boil, add the semolina.
- Keep stirring as you add the semolina to avoid the forming of lumps.
- If you feel the mix is too thick, add some more water and stir.
- Let this cook for a min, then turn off the heat and allow the upma to rest for 5 mins before serving.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.
And thats it your spicy Upma is ready!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.